Spent Mushroom Compost

• 10 Replies

Tristan

Spent Mushroom Compost
« on: April 23, 2012, 17:29 »
Need a bit of advice please.
My plot has a very heavy clay soil mix, >:( I have already added some multi purpose compost to lighten it but if I carry on this way it will cost me a fortune. We have a soil supplier near by who is sells spent mushroom compost for £35 a cubic meter (quiet alot cheaper than the bagged stuff) and I can get well rotted manure for nowt. would it be a good idea to dig the SMC and the horse muck in to my plot in an effort to lighten the soil, also would this help with getting better crops of spuds, carrots, onions etc? :wub:

Thanks for your help :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 17:53 by DD. »

RichardA

Re: Spent Mushroom Compast
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 17:38 »
both useful but keep in mind SMC tends to be alkaline and has little nutritional value but great as soil conditioner -- rotted manure has higher nutritional value and tends to be a bit acidic but again great soil improver.
Some stable manures have had pesticide contamination which has devistated gardens in past but SMC has of course already been used sucessfuly as a growing medium.
Never put carrots or parsnips where recently manured, but good for potato, onions, beans etc etc.
Hope that helps

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Spent Mushroom Compast
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 17:52 »
To expand slightly on Richard's excellent reply, spuds don't like alkalinity - gives them scab - so I'd avoid the mushroom compost where you plan to grow spuds.  Brassicas would like that though!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tristan

Re: Spent Mushroom Compost
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 18:03 »
Thanks for the replies, however, this raises another question. Would it be ok to plant my spuds there in a couple of years?  ???

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 18:06 »
And be prepared for  a nice harvest of mushrooms.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 18:13 »
Thanks for the replies, however, this raises another question. Would it be ok to plant my spuds there in a couple of years?  ???

Yes, fine.

Goldfinger

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 18:22 »

A long time ago, when I was still at school, my dad tried some SMC, and everything FAILED!

I'm to wanting to put you off but, looking at the replies so far, maybe it was because he didn't know the stuff was alkaline.  ::)

If I had heavy soil, I think I would consider the stuff now that I've learn't something here.  ;)

brotherdeal

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 20:20 »
Being on clay it's probably acidic but do test to make sure.
I use mushroom compost and manure mix on my heavy clay acid soil, it works wonders! I found best rotivated in.

In fact I did a test patch with spuds last year, I had a better crop where I put the mushroom compost mix, probably down to the area holding more moisture.

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 21:23 »
Need a bit of advice please.
My plot has a very heavy clay soil mix, >:( I have already added some multi purpose compost to lighten it but if I carry on this way it will cost me a fortune. We have a soil supplier near by who is sells spent mushroom compost for £35 a cubic meter (quiet alot cheaper than the bagged stuff) and I can get well rotted manure for nowt. would it be a good idea to dig the SMC and the horse muck in to my plot in an effort to lighten the soil, also would this help with getting better crops of spuds, carrots, onions etc? :wub:

Thanks for your help :)
Home made compost has worked wonders for me over the years the initial problem was getting sufficient green waste however once  I got a three bin  system going I found I could generate a conciderable amount of good soil improving compost each year virtually cost free.
Retired but never short of a job.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:50 »
Seems a little expensive, we can get a 7.5 ton trailer load delivered for £60

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23 »
Seems a very expensive way of conditioning your soil, if you can get muck for free I'd just stick with that tbh.
Faff free zone!

xx
Spent mushroom compost

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 06:07
by marion
xx
Spent Mushroom Compost

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 21:15
by Trillium
xx
Spent mushroom compost needed

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:03
by andy135
xx
Spent mushroom compost on my potato beds

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2022, 21:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.