cover up in winter?

• 10 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
cover up in winter?
« on: November 03, 2011, 22:18 »
Hi, this is my first year and it was really fruitful, now I have cleaned almost all the plot and wondering whether it is a good idea to cover up the soil with black plastic sheets, to stop weed coming out...but in the meantime, stoping rain water get into the soil. what are the pros and cons of covering up?

Thanks
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: cover up in winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 22:20 »
I wouldn't cover, but I certainly wouldn't use black plastic.  It stops air and water getting to the soil, thus having a detrimental impact on the soil's health.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 22:26 »
Unless your soil is sandy, when the rain may wash nutrients away, I think it's best to leave earth uncovered for the birds to get to, to eat bugs and weed seeds during the cold months.

It's also better to leave it uncovered if it's clay soil, rough dig it in clods and the frost will break it up into nice friable soil.

If you cover it, all the weed seeds will germinate in the spring when you uncover it, anyway, so I don't think you gain anything by covering.

The deep water from winter rains is what lets the plants grow if we have a dry spring.

Saying that...I know a lot of people do cover their beds.............I've never understood why ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 22:31 »
Try a thick mulch with manure or leaf mould. As well as improving the soil it acts as a barrier to prevent weeds growing.
Come the Spring the worms will have done their job and incorporated it in so your soil will be luvverly.......

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 22:52 »
thanks for all advices, I think I should remove the covers. they have been on for nearly two weeks now.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:28 »
I cover areas which aren't under cultivation in a thick layer of cow manure and weed suppressing membrane or just the membrane if its not got the manure. (in total about 2/3 of the plot over winter.

The main reasons I use the membrane are threefold. Firstly neither of my plot neighbours are very good at keeping the weeds down and I find I don't get so many weeds early on in the spring. (I do get them but they are more manageable). Secondly it does warm the soil for a flying start in the spring, and thirdly when we have a dry spring the soil underneath the membrane tends to stay moister for longer (ie until uncovered) so  I think is better for young plants.

I certainly wouldn't use impermeable materials over winter such as plastic. Short term to smother weeds to help in clearing a plot, but not for months as I think it might sour the soil by not allowing moisture in /out and air circulation.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:23 »
I do the same as Nikki and cover up uncultivated ares during the winter.

Sometimes I do use black plastic, and I have found that any weeds that germinate under it are white, weak and feebel and are easily dealt with. This goes for the growth from any scrpas of perennial weed root I have missed too.

The soil is damp to start with and compost spread.

It stops the nutrients from  elaching down and out of reach during the winter and protects the soil structure, which for me here means it is not water logged come spring and ready to go.

The plastic is weighted down with bricks and there is plenty of air underneath it.

Some are horrified at this practice and it is not 'organic' but tbh it werks fer me.

It does also save the influx of weed seeds from other plots where they are left to grow unchecked

Everyone will have their own view, as you can see....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48 »
We too cover up the uncultivated area, part with membrane and part with plastic.  Mainly to weaken any weeds and to stop those from neighbouring overgrown plots.  (and I have to say it looks tidier and stops me stressing about the weeds that  seem manage to grow no matter how cold it is)

We have done this for over 20 years on this plot and the soil has always given up very good crops the following year.  We (sorry OH) normally rough digs first and the frost still manages to get to the clods of soil and help break it up.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:10 »
Like others I have tended to use weed fabric and dig my bed then cover and weigh down. The rain and air still get thru but it keeps the weeds down. A friend used to cover for a while then uncover, then cover again. Said it got weeds to germinate then killed or weakened them.

It takes me a month or two to get all my beds dug and if I do not cover I find the first one I dug ends up covered in weeds by the time I am finishing the last one. That said there might be value in letting them germinate, hoe the weeds and then cover.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28 »
 having read your replies although we don't cover our ground overwinter i have started growing my brasicass in a black plastic membrane the plants are still set in rows in the poly sheeting with holes cut to allow water and air through

obviously the poly sheeting is only down during the growing period and taken off when the crop is harvested

we started this because our Lottie is rife with redshank weed and by doing this  kept the weeds at bay and so kept the crop clean also saving some considerable time hand weeding we had a good results this year from this method

but its worth noting your comments on the down side of covering the ground

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:47 »
Very few weeds will be growing in winter so generaly it is not worth covering your ground, the only weed which will cover it is normaly chick weed, this weed I allow to grow for four reasons.....
1. It is a good source of greens for the chooks in winter.
2. It helps to lock in the top soil so it wont blow away.
3. I dig it in as a green manure in spring.
4. We eat it also as part of our salad.
Covering a bed in spring/ summer time that is not in use is a good idea to surpress the weeds and also covering the ground in spring will help to warm the soil up quicker if you want crops in that bit earlier.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Shallots Golden gourmet. Cover them for the winter?

Started by BB on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2018, 17:19
by DHM
xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 36 queries.