Plastic Growing House Advice

• 6 Replies

Aled

Plastic Growing House Advice
« on: January 01, 2016, 19:59 »
Hello All
I have had a small plastic growing house for a while, and it has served me well, however its time is at an end.
Has anybody got any experience of the larger "walk in" type plastic growing houses? How sturdy are they? and does anyone have any suggestions of a good tough type to buy? We got a little too much wind and rain in Wales!A fixed greenhouse is on hold for at least one more year probably two. (sadly)
Cheers
Aled

cadalot

Re: Plastic Growing House Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 07:15 »
LIfe expectations of the cover and zip one year if you are lucky. I used large plastic milk bottles cable tied to the corner tubes and tent pegs along the bottom plus it was up against the shed. Cost around £30 but I managed to buy mine at the end of season in a sale for about £20 it was clear plastic and not one of the reinforced plastic types, I have a mini version at the end of the garden that has served me well for 3 years but it's in a sheltered location and only 3ft high.

I have seen Galvanised Steel Frame Polytunnel Greenhouse Poly Tunnel 2.5m x 2m that cost £48.50 last longer but only with timber decking boarding inside and out along the bottom and the excess cover buried or covered on paving slabs, plus a timber frame around the opening flap.

The ones I have seen on our allotments also had the mesh windows with flaps either side.

As I have a new allotment, I have been weighing up the alternatives with a 6x4 polycarbonate greenhouse starting at around £160. I have read reviews of the polycarbonate sheeting blowing off easily on some of the cheaper models.

Aled

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:28 »
Thanks for the reply Cadalot. Interesting.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 15:56 »
£22 at Home Bargains if it lasts a year that will do, the smaller one I had for £10 lasted 3 years so we'll have a go. Although I do tie them to the wall using a wide rope.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:32 »
Bought one from Home Bargains, along with a large growing trough. My mind is spring already! ...however there is a cold snap coming!
Cheers
Aled

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:44 »
Ours was an internet purchase five years ago and the cover is now beginning to wear and develop holes in the weave.

We sited in where it is sheltered on one side from the prevailing winds, which are up to 80mph at some times in the year. The sides of the cover are trenched in about 30-35 cm deep, and the low level vents are always left open as this prevents it being lifted by the wind.
Size: 3m long by 2m wide. It has grown many many tomatoes, early French beans, winter salad leaves etc and I wish I had bought a larger one at the time.

Any hole has been immediately repaired with clear duct tape inside and out, which has helped prevent rips, but the key has been the sheltered position I think
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aled

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05 »
Sounds similar to what I have done with the smaller one I had sunshineband, it lasted 3 years so I can't complain at an outlet of £10!
If I get 3 years out of my new one i'll be pleased.
Cheers
Aled

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 28 queries.