Sieves that don't rust

• 12 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Sieves that don't rust
« on: August 09, 2015, 18:18 »
I am going to have to throw away my second sieve in 6 months as I have noticed it has started rust I know I am using it for fruits etc but :mad: I had one for years that eventually split from the top ring and it never rusted but since then I am yet to find a good one! I know our water is very hard round here which really doesn't help but these were both meant to be 'dishwasher proof' and I only hand washed them!

Anyone got any recommendations for a good ones I can use for pushing fruit pulp through etc?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 18:36 by RJR_38 »

Growster...

Re: Sieves that don't rust
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 18:30 »
Tesco do a good strong one - quite cheap, and we had ours for several years.

(I still use a plastic one for home-made wine - I think it's over thirty years old...)!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 18:33 »
I bought an olympic running track ! shaped one from Lidl it also had adjustable side supports to fit across a kitchen sink.  Superb bit o' kit.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shazlette

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 20:44 »
Thanks guys. Something else I need to replace is my metal sieve. I use it to push fruit pulp through for preserves. It's 28 years old and starting to look a bit sad. I have struggled to find a replacement before it finally gives up on me. I shall go to Tescos later in the week.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 20:58 »
Thanks guys. Something else I need to replace is my metal sieve. I use it to push fruit pulp through for preserves. It's 28 years old and starting to look a bit sad. I have struggled to find a replacement before it finally gives up on me. I shall go to Tescos later in the week.

I went today and only saw a very cheap looking one that looks like it would be a nightmare to clean round the rim and had no little 'loops' for balancing on bowls etc :(

Think I will have to resort to trawling Amazon reviews...

shazlette

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 21:10 »
Uhhmm. Ok. I will look in Lakeland tomorrow. They are expensive but tend to be good. They also have a money back policy which is fantastic. You can return something at any time without a receipt and get an exchange if you are not happy!!!! i returned a flask today and got my swap no problem.
I will report back if I find something worthwhile.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 21:39 »
That's true - I forgot about their guarantee. I don't mind paying more for one if it lasts!

shazlette

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:00 »
I went to Lakeland. I have bought a 7" metal sieve with a hook to go over and a handle.  It cost £9.55. I only bought it after checking that they would replace if it broke!!! The mesh seems very pliable and larger holes. It bends slightly if you hold handle and hook part. It Does look like the mesh may come out of the surround. However, maybe this is how things are these days, as I say my 'tired' one is 28 years old!!! (and still much stronger)!! Debenhams had a similar one for £6 which was slightly smaller and also a bit bendy.

I bought at Lakeland because they will replace it which I guess Tesco won't!

sorry can't be more helpful.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 13:57 »
Thanks for this. I might bite the bullet and get one next time I am near one then. As you say, maybe it is the way things are now. Mine was only 7/8 years old compared to your 28 but I would happy if I could find one to last 7 years rather than 7 weeks

shazlette

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 21:23 »
I have left it down at dads but hope to try it out when I am back there next week. If it is total 'pants' I'll let you know!!

shazlette

Sieves for pushing fruit through
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 22:26 »
Hi,

Somewhere in here I posted that I had purchased a sieve from Lakeland for around £9 and would report on how good it was. I can't find where, but this is my answer!!!

I bought a metal sieve. When I use it I have found the following:

It has one hook and one handle. If placed over a jug, the handle is top heavy and the sieve falls off!! It is ok over a wider bowl. The mesh is softer than my ancient one. When cleaning/washing, all the rubbish gets under the top rim! it is a chore to get the bit out. As you run it under the tap it just runs round under the lip! It does come clean but with more patience than my old one.

I will continue to use it for now while I continue my search. At the end of the day it was £9 something but comes with the Lakeland replacement guarantee.

I can't say whether I would recommend it as it is not a patch on my nearly 30 year old one!! Like I've said before, maybe I just have to accept that things are not made how they used to be!!! :unsure:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 16:49 »
Hi Shazlette, after you mentioned the lakelands one I did look at it but decided against it because of the rim and its flimsy looking nature ! It seems a good sieve is impossible to find nowadays....

DanielCoffey

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 20:11 »
Richmond Cookshop do what appear to be very good sieves in sizes up to 9" but boy are they pricey! You would get three of the Lakeland ones for a 9" sieve there but they tend to stock items which are catering grade rather than home issue.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 34 queries.