Law regarding chicken noise

• 59 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Law regarding chicken noise
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:08 »
My evil neighbours have finally put a nasty note though my door threatening the call in the council. My hens (no cockerel)  do a group alarm call about twice a day when they think there is a cat lurking outside the fence.

Does anyone know the law so that I can quote it if necessary?

:(
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

pepsi100

Re: Law regarding chicken noise
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:31 »
I think the law is the same for barking dogs (and we have plenty around here) and the council dont seem to do anything about them
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:38 »
Your best bet is to look on your council website at what they say about noise nuisance.  This is the page from my one and they say straight off that there are no hard and fast rules about what constitutes a nuisance.

http://www.reading.gov.uk/residents/environmental-health-and-protection/noise-and-odour/noise-nuisance/

You can't stop your neighbours going to the council, but forewarned and all that  ;)  Make sure if the council come round, you are as friendly and reasonable as possible.  I thinks its unlikely 2 alarm calls a day will trigger any action, so don't go on the offensive as you probably don't need to  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:51 »
i had a shufti on my council website

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200228/pollution/576/noise_nuisance/3

seems it just covers dogs and even that isnt very clear

I dont really know what they could do if its in the daytime, just depends on the time of day I guess

(I guess a cockerel at 4;30 would upset some, but even though mine does crow at that time I havent had any complaints)

I do know the council will come around and wont let you know to check on noise levels

Some neighbours are just a pain in the bum and dont think of anyone else apart from their selves, have any others complained ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:04 »
Hens are not usually loud enough to constitute a noise nuisance - but they do usually make a point of checking for hygiene and smells while they're around (any excuse to complain! ) so be on your toes  ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:13 »
Is it just the one neighbour that has complained ?

Just putting a note through the door is being silly, why didnt they knock and have a chat ?

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:26 »
Oh Nerdle that is such a pain in the nether regions. Makes me appreciate that I have a little space between me and my neighbours.

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:53 »
I am always worried that someone will complain about my ladies.  Mine too 'crow' every so often if they think that danger is likely, or if they want to show off that they've laid the best egg in the world.  I have 'cultivated' my neighbours by taking them some eggs every so often and asking if they can hear the birds.  All have said that they haven't, thankfully.

My neighbours looked after my hens when we were on holiday, and they are now thinking of getting some too. 

Fingers crossed for you that it will all blow over.  Do they work shifts and so are woken up in the afternoon by the birds? 

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 13:13 »
Your three girls are unlikely to make enough noise to be regarded as a public nuisance (which is what the council would need to prove).   The officers are reasonable people but do have to investigate the complaint now it has been made.  If your neighbour complains enough to the council he may find himself on their list of frivolous complainants and you will find the officers will be on your side!  :D

splash101

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 14:47 »
I know of someone very very stubborn who had kept chickens and cockerels on some land for 40 years (not the same chickens obviously  ;) )

A newby to the villiage took offense at the noise of the cockerel  and complained to the council, and complained and complained and complained.

The council had to investigate, which they did and of course it was found to be a noise nusience because of the early morning crowing and nothing else. The owner was told by the council firstly to shut the cockerel up and stop it crowing early in the morning  :nowink: he couldnt keep it quiet so eventually was told to get rid of the cockerel.

He wouldnt get rid of the cockerel (like i said, very very stubborn). He had several threatening letters from the council because he hadnt done what they had asked him to do. The council (like most) dragged their feet and didnt really really want to take things any further but had to act on the complaint.
Five years this went on and very very stubborn man even bought more cockerels in (i'm sure just to antagonise the situation).
He said he would rather go to prison than get rid of his cockerels and i do believe he meant it.

Back to your problem. Like most have said yours probably wouldnt make enough noise and im sure if the council did investigate they would come to the same conclusion and in extreme circumstances would set up noise mointering equipment (though i would find it unlikely to happen) as mum' mentioned they will also be interested in any smells, what you do with the waste, any potential rodent problems etc.
Before i got my chickens, i rang our council and they were very helpful. Maybe you could ring yours and find out what is acceptable and what isnt and let them know about the problem neighbours. Even invite the council around (then stick a note through nasty neighbours door and tell them you've beat them to it)

Some people like to make a problem where there isnt one and spread misery wherever they are.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 15:06 »
I did like the old boys stance on it, good lad, jeez, just imagine how boring it would be if there wasnt any noise

My birds always let the world know when they have laid an egg, then they go off looking for something eat, the cockerel just states his claim every so often and in the mornings, just to let people know that both him and them have survived another night  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 16:43 »
Words fail me! I agree with what has been said. Also remember you have a legal right to keep hens (not cockerels) as long as they are kept correctly and are clean. How much noise can three girls make!!! Perhaps your neighbours would like to cull all the wild birds! The dawn chorus is much much much louder than anything three hens can produce. >:(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 17:12 »
Across the road the chap's motorbike is more annoying.....

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 19:02 »
My ladies announce the arrival of an egg with a great fanfare of cackling, but it doesn't go on for more than five minutes or so, and this hardly constitutes a nuisance. It isn't constant noise, and it doesn't go on all day, so it's no more of a problem than someone revving up a motorbike before taking off, or a noisy car, or children playing in a garden and shouting. Take no notice of this petty neighbour, I'm sure they don't creep around like mice, and they must make a little noise on occasion too.

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 20:31 »
We have a covenant on our houses, there since 1895 that forbids us to keep chickens.  However 3 doors up ignore this and keep them.   Nobody complains.   Next door had them for a bit and were given a cockerel by mistake.  I have to admit that was a complete pain at 4.00 am until they got it swapped for a chicken.

xx
Chicken/hen noise

Started by nottage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:14
by dawnsmith
xx
Chicken noise

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2018, 14:48
by 8doubles
xx
strange noise - escaped chicken???

Started by babe on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:20
by muntjac
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 37 queries.