Call Duck Eggs & Hatching

• 1 Replies

Prod

Call Duck Eggs & Hatching
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:57 »
I have 5 call ducks, 2 females and 3 males. I have been feeding them duck breeder pellets. They share 2 houses and a little wind shelter. Recently they have been laying in all three and I usually remove them  after a few days, however this week either one or both females appear to have made a nest in the larger house and there are no 8 eggs there.  How will I know if they are going to get broody?, if indeed they do. Will they share the nest? I don't have an incubator  so if they do sit  I assume it is ok to let them hatch naturally?????  Any advice greatfully recieved :wacko: :wacko:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Call Duck Eggs & Hatching
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 18:48 »
If they are like chickens they will try to sit on the same nest and some eggs do get damaged that way.  If they are old enough they will probably go broody when they are happy with the amount of eggs in the nest.  Not sure how many is in a normal clutch for call ducks.  It is fine to let them hatch under a broody and that way they will learn how to eat, drink and swim off Mum.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
does anyone know about hatching call duck eggs........

Started by inchhighfly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 11:00
by Pinti
xx
Hatching Duck Eggs

Started by Rupert Bear on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:32
by Rupert Bear
xx
Which incubator for hatching duck eggs?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 11:29
by flangey
xx
Advice please: Hatching duck eggs

Started by two webbed feet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 08:18
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 28 queries.