Greenhouse

• 2 Replies

ANGEL_S

Greenhouse
« on: January 03, 2009, 18:56 »
Do all greenhouses have to be heated?

I was planning on growing tomatoes, Aubergine, Sweet Peppers, Courgette and Sweet Potatos (do they go in greenhouse) in my greenhouse.

I have never used a greenhouse before. It has plastic panels not glass ones ( its not the zip up greenhouse type just looks like normal glass ones and has metal frame) on all sides and then on type sort of frosted plastic panles.

So do the above veg need the Greenhouse heated and what heaters are safe for a plastic greenhouse?

I also plan to grow outside: Blueberry's Strawberry's Leek, Carrots, Spring onions, Parsnip, Lettice and Swede.

Do I need to use a propogator for all seeds to start growing? And what does a propogator really do?

Sorry feel totally Clueless and thats after reading loads!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 19:07 »
Well i grow aubergines and peppers in my greenhouse with the tomatoes and it is not heated. I start seeds off on windowledge indoors and plant out when frost mostly finished. (Keep fleece handy if a late 1 is forecast)
Courgette can be started inside and be planted outside or if you leave till after frost you can sow direct in soil.
Sorry can't help with sweet potatoes........

paintedlady

Re: Greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:55 »
Quote from: "ANGEL_S"
Do all greenhouses have to be heated?

I was planning on growing tomatoes, Aubergine, Sweet Peppers, Courgette and Sweet Potatos (do they go in greenhouse) in my greenhouse.

I also plan to grow outside: Blueberry's Strawberry's Leek, Carrots, Spring onions, Parsnip, Lettice and Swede.

Do I need to use a propogator for all seeds to start growing? And what does a propogator really do?

You only need to heat the greenhouse when there is an overnight frost or snow forecast to protect any plants in there such as seedlings, but you could just as easily start these off in the house and save on heating the greenhouse  :wink:  

The "plastic" window greenhouses are susceptible to high winds - as plastic is more flexible than glass, it is not uncommon for panes to get pushed out, so please do make sure it is located in a sheltered spot.

Your outdoor selection of fruit & veg looks fine.  As regards sweet potatoes, ideally they are not an easy veg for newbies to try & grow, but there's nothing stopping you from trying - we all have to learn at some time.  I can't help notice your location is west coast of Scotland - I'm wondering if you will have a long enough growing period for them or sustained warmth (hence, I understand the greenhouse question now)?

As regards to a propagator, these aid germination by retaining warmth and humidity and is suitable for most seeds.  However, carrots & parsnips should be sown either directly outside when the soil temperature is warmer, or into something like cardboard loo inserts so that the roots are not disturbed (otherwise you'll end up with some interesting root shapes  :wink: ).  A heated propagator greatly helps germination of sweet peppers which need a much higher temperature for germination - be warned it can take up to a month before you see signs so don't be too discouraged.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 17:51
by funkydelia
xx
Greenhouse

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 11:17
by Caretaker
question
New Greenhouse

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:47
by Aidy
xx
greenhouse

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 11:27
by Kristen

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 30 queries.