Where do you put a poorly hen?

• 3 Replies

AnimalFriend

Where do you put a poorly hen?
« on: September 12, 2018, 21:25 »
Hi, we’ve got a coop and a run for our 4 ex bats. One of them, Nicole, has a bad eye and tapeworm (only seen bits in her poo, none in others), so I want to isolate and treat her.
What do you do when you need to isolate one of yours? We don’t have a spare run/coop!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Where do you put a poorly hen?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 21:35 »
I've got a fold away dog cage I use.  Obviously the hen still needs shelter and a safe place to be overnight, like a shed or garage.

If you think there is a worm problem, they all need worming.  The eye problem is a different matter of course.

AnimalFriend

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20 »
Thanks new shoot, I’ve manages to get a dog crate on eBay so thanks for the idea. They will all get worked generally with flubenvet, but reckon from what I’ve read that Nicole will need something extra to get rid of the tape. I’ve seen drontal mentioned (prezanquintel(sp?)) just for its ability to do the business... anyone got any experience?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:02 »
Flubenvet at the doses you get for home poultry keeping doesn't kill tapeworm Animalfriend.  I think you would need to go to a vet to get stronger stuff, but you need it for the whole flock in my opinion. Tapeworms release hundreds of eggs and the chances are the rest have got them as well. 

I only know Drontal as a dog and cat wormer, but the vet may recommend it in these circumstances.  I've never used it, but I would be wary of administering it without advice if it were my hens.  Presumably the strength of Flubenvet for domestic use is limited to make sure its safe and you can't overdose ?  :unsure:  If the vet sees a sample of the poo, they could have a full worm check and recommend a treatment course.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:18
by Bubbles
xx
Please help with a poorly hen

Started by JohnJackson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 00:38
by hillfooter
xx
Poorly hen

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 12:53
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 40 queries.