magnolia tree question

• 7 Replies

starry

magnolia tree question
« on: April 23, 2013, 19:20 »
I have a magnolia tree in a pot (its about 3ft high) I have had it for about 3 years last year it had  leaves but no flowers or buds and this year it looks again like it is just leaves no flowers, has it got to mature a bit first or am I doing something wrong?
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: magnolia tree question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 19:59 »
It should bud and flower first before the leaves come along?

Is there furry buds that don't open and/or fall off or is there really no buds at all???

Do you know what type of magnolia it is?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 20:14 »
I'm not sure but I would think that it needs water at the time of bud formation, & in a pot there is a chance that it won't get enough. Even with last years wet. pot plants deflect the rain from it's leaves.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52 »
It may also be hungry unless you have been feeding it.  They are greedy beggers like rhododendrons and like an acidic soil.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 13:29 »
True Debz.

Last year my Magnolia 'Stellata' lost it's flower buds quite quickly - they either flowered poorly or fell off without opening.
Gave them a feed of Sequestrene (chelated iron) in January/february time and this year the flowering has been much longer and they look much happier.

It isn't in a ericacious specific bed, although I did plant in a pile of ericacious compost, but the irises and other plants don't seem to unhappy about sharing the space - in fact the giant irises I bought at Wisley a couple of years ago might have their best year yet as well!! :happy:
Bonus!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 20:49 »
Sorry to say that it really should have some flowers coming out now, so can you pop it into a bed somewhere, or at least a bigger pot?

A general feed of fertiliser may prompt it to blossom next year, but it sounds like it needs some space for it's roots so it can thrive naturally!

Best of luck, they're gorgeous trees, and I hope it works for you next year!

Debz

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:20 »
I know that rhodo's and azaeleas need a lot of water during the summer so if you have had dry summers and your plant is in a pot, that might have been part of its problem.  A gardener at a local nursery also recommend a feed with sulphate of potash when the schools break up for the summer.  Up here that is the last week of June as apparently that is good for the next years developing flowers.

starry

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36 »
Hello and thanks for your replies I unfortunately have no beds to put it in and cannot remember what it is called ! But I will give it a feed and check how damp it is, did read on rhs site that they can take up to three years before they flower so I will give it another year and then find it a new home  :(

xx
Magnolia Tree

Started by Hawkins on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 05:59
by joyfull
clip
Magnolia tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 12:45
by New shoot
xx
Magnolia tree

Started by Speachless on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 13:46
by Speachless
xx
Magnolia

Started by logi06 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2020, 10:39
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.