Mail Order

• 8 Replies

flimbin

• Allotment Vegs & Bees
Mail Order
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:40 »
Does everyone have problems with mail order, or is it just me?   I am usually dissappointed when I respond to ads in magazines. It seems to me that when you buy 3 of a plant, they send you 1 healthy one, 1 dead one and a sickly one. When it's a five, you get 2 healthy ones, one completely dead one and 2 that might or might not make it!
I feel robbed each time, but keep falling for the ads.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Mail Order
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48 »
If you only buy from reputable dealers you'll not have this problem.

So, wise up - give the magazine adds a miss  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53 »

I bought three Honeyberry 'bushes'.  (buy two get the third one free)  They were all no more than a single twig no more than 1 1/2" tall (above ground).   Very very disapointed.  :mad: However they have now all sprouted leaf clusters but I shall certainly think again before repeating this process.      :wub:  Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

spottymint

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 13:10 »
If you only buy from reputable dealers you'll not have this problem.

So, wise up - give the magazine adds a miss  :)

I'm with Auntie , also ask the seller questions.

Are they garden ready ?

If not they may be young plants, which require growing on with care & protection before being planted out in the final positions.

If the seller won't answer questions, they probably have something to hide, so avoid.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 13:11 »
and always complain if the plants are not up to scratch, otherwise the supplier just gets away with it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Agatha

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:43 »
I never buy special offer plants from papers/magazines, as I've never found one that's been worth the money (especially the 'free - just pay £4 postage' ones)  Vernons are brilliant for pelargoniums & herbaceous perennials - only once had a problem and then it was sorted immediately with a money-off voucher as an apology.  Van Meeuwen are good too.  One of my clients orders from them 2 or 3 times a year and only ever had one problem.  I tend to avoid Thompson & Morgan as I've had so many problems with their plants. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 13:01 »
I don`t fall for the "for free - just pay postage" offers anymore. It feels like they get rid of the plants they cannot sell in the normal way anymore. The few times I have tried I got mostly sick or dead plants. For example 3 Amaryllis bulbs for free (+postage) and all 3 were mouldy but I could save one which never flowered, or 3 Helleborus plants for free (+postage) and two were already dead, but one was ok and is growing well in the garden.

So I avoid these offers now as you cannot really complain if you got something for free.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27 »
I never buy special offer plants from papers/magazines, as I've never found one that's been worth the money (especially the 'free - just pay £4 postage' ones)  Vernons are brilliant for pelargoniums & herbaceous perennials - only once had a problem and then it was sorted immediately with a money-off voucher as an apology.  Van Meeuwen are good too.  One of my clients orders from them 2 or 3 times a year and only ever had one problem.  I tend to avoid Thompson & Morgan as I've had so many problems with their plants. 
I also avoid teeandem as I have had the same problem several times in the past, but recommend Jersey Direct.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

spottymint

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 18:18 »

I also avoid teeandem as I have had the same problem several times in the past, but recommend Jersey Direct.

Agree with this.

xx
Daily Mail article today, page 88 .

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2023, 17:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
SEED ORDER DELIVERY

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 10:39
by babe
xx
What flower seeds should I order?

Started by Swing Swang on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:30
by Sue32
xx
What order to relay lawn and build new veg plot?

Started by oliveoil54 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 23:32
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 28 queries.