Pea Problems

• 35 Replies

ruth82

Pea Problems
« on: May 04, 2008, 20:42 »
I'm not having much luck with my peas  :cry: , I grew some on my window sill in paper pots, about half of them went mouldy...were they too warm?

I planted out the dozen or so that did germinate but it appears they have been eaten by something, I'm guessing a rabbit by the poo trails around!  :evil:

So basically I am back to square one so should I
1. plant them straight in the ground or in pots first?
2. use any netting or anything to disuade the rabbit from using the seedlings as lunch?
3. give up and stick to birds eye?!  :shock:

I'm a bit new to this incase you haven't guessed so would appreciate any advice.  :)
Rabbits are NOT cute

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Pea Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 20:58 »
I sling mine straight in the ground & then net them. It at least keeps the larger animals off, but be prepared for one or two mice to creep in!

The warmest I'd ever start peas off is in my unheated greenhouse. It appears that a lot of people are falling foul of starting things in the warmth that are cold tolerant. These seeds will rot in the warmth & damp.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Pea Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 21:09 »
If you really do have a rabbit problem, it's not just your peas that will go missing. You need to erect a good fence to grow anything.

Try search as there have been a few useful threads about it in the past.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Pea Problems
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 21:18 »
Soak 'em in paraffin 1st you could always chuck some chilli powder/cayennne pepper on them for good measure, sow them direct in the ground, water well, cover with fleece if you want to.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ruth82

Pea Problems
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 17:23 »
I'm in a mess if that's the case, I'm trying to run the allotment on a budget and don't think I can stretch to a fence.  I'll try the netting though and just keep my fingers crossed, not holding out much hope though

:?

zucchiniqueen

Pea Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 19:44 »
This will only help at the start and might just line you up for more trouble later on, but while they are little I grow our peas & beans with plastic milk or drink bottle cartons around them - you just chop the bottom and the top off, bury them in the ground a bit around the plant (or pile the dirt up the sides a bit so they don't blow away) and it seems to stop them being eaten too much when they are little. They also keep snail bait around the plant and away from munching little animals that shouldn't eat it. its also very cheap! And you can poke mulch inside them to help retain water & the mulch doesn't get blown or spread around. It might let them get big enough to withstand a bit of a nibble later on...? We left ours on all year last year, didn't seem to cause any problems. Anyway, good luck!

ruth82

Pea Problems
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 23:24 »
Thank you that's made me feel a lot better, I'll certainly try.  Although the plastic recycling collection was on Friday and we've just got rid of a load, d'oh! Shouldn't take too long to build up stocks though.

flash

Pea Problems
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:28 »
I planted them straight into the soil on my allotment and as soon as plants appeared covered them with Schhh tonic bottles cut in half, with the lids off and small holes cut in the base (which becomes the top) of the bottom half. Seems to work, fingers crossed.

zucchiniqueen

Pea Problems
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:46 »
Its amazing how quickly you can build up a sizeable stock of plastic containers - and I have found that the neighbours are happy to donate some to me rather than the recycle bin (although they do seem to think I am crazy). Good luck!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Pea Problems
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 13:01 »
My peas, photo taken today, slung straight in the ground & netted.

The four rows in the foreground are Kelvedon Wonder, sown at two different times & the shorter rows in the background are mange tout. Have 'Jaguar' on the go & also 3 types of heritage peas.

I like peas, me! Would take me a while to collect enough plaggy bottles to protect them!

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
Pea Problems
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 14:30 »
Quote from: "ruth82"
I'm in a mess if that's the case, I'm trying to run the allotment on a budget and don't think I can stretch to a fence.  I'll try the netting though and just keep my fingers crossed, not holding out much hope though

:?

Ruth, one of the cheapest ways, if you can transport them, is to get pallets for a fence.  we have found a woodyard that lets us have them for free.  You might also ask on freecycle for fencing, but the trouble is very often the transporting.  sometimes a friendly fellow allotmenteer might even transport for you - we find that our site is full of good people!

I would also look at the  frugal living board - they have loads of ideas to make stuff cheaply (the plant pots out of newspaper is brilliant!).

Caddi
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

puravida

• Experienced Member
Pea Problems
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 17:54 »
Quote from: "DD."
My peas, photo taken today, slung straight in the ground & netted.

The four rows in the foreground are Kelvedon Wonder, sown at two different times & the shorter rows in the background are mange tout. Have 'Jaguar' on the go & also 3 types of heritage peas.

I like peas, me! Would take me a while to collect enough plaggy bottles to protect them!

DD - looks fab!! Are you giving them any support at all or will they support each other as grown quite thick?

I've adopted the Munty - foot wide trough and chuck a whole packet in - approach this year and wondering if I need some support for them.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Pea Problems
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 18:23 »
Notice the white twine?

There are two strings on the more mature peas. I'll add as they grow higher.

puravida

• Experienced Member
Pea Problems
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 18:55 »
Oh I see - so you string the peas to the twine, then add more rounds of twine and string higher and higher as the peas grow?

Are you stringing every single plant?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Pea Problems
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 19:21 »
This is how I support my peas

Picture taken today too (I love peas  8) )

xx
Pea problems

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 13:08
by gobs
xx
pot problems

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:00
by chris23005
xx
Pea problems

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 16:47
by dig4victory
xx
Problems!!!

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 15:11
by Coach

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.