the pallet shed begins . . . . . .

• 85 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: April 17, 2008, 19:45 »
tonight !  :shock:

been saying for ages i'd be starting a 9 x 12 shed made almost entirely out of ' aquired '  pallets  :wink:  :wink:  

just got my first delivery of slotted angle off a guy on ebay who seems not only to be the cheapest but not far off the only one i could find actually selling this stuff lol.

tried for months to aquire some second hand with no luck and considering i'm minutes away from all the big industrial buildings in trafford park, seems bizzare that i've not been able to find any  . . . .  :evil:  

will do some pics tonight possibly but as its getting dark they may be postponed till the morning lol, will do them as i go along anyway and top this post up as its built  :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 21:56 »
Can't wait daveinmanc interested to see how it turns out.  Good luck.

It is a case of knowing where to look I am beginning to find out when it comes to old bits of scrap such as pallets.  So many people just throw them away!
Teen

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 21:58 »
well i started clearing away some pallets before while it was light, and went from this . . . .

to this  . . . . .

then i made this . . . half a side

and then placed some boards across the back so i could get an idea of the room i was going to take up, at which point i decided 12 x 9 was too big so now i'm going for 9 x 9 which is still plenty big enough so it'll look like this room wise . . . .

not a bad start for an hour and half's work, most of which was spent moving 40 odd pallets with the ride on mower and trailer lol, off to screw fix tomorrow for a few hundred 10 x 1 screws for attaching the pallets to the slotted angle, and i'll do some more tomorrow evening ;)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 22:05 »
WOW  :shock:   can't wait to see how this turns out!!  :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 22:08 »
I'm not sure if I'm aloud to swear but they look like blooming good pallets, the wood is all close together.  You get what you pay for I suppose.  I look forward to the next instalment.  Can you come down to wiltshire and make me one next  :D ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 22:38 »
That looksbrilliant Dave.  Where do you get all those pallets.  They look in excellent condition.  Lucky you  :!:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 23:14 »
My thoughts exactly Sally. Can't wait to see the finished shed.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:31 »
that the best about it, i haven't paid a penny for any of the pallets lol  :D

just cost me time and petrol and car cleaning collecting them from trafford park, asked a few people about getting hold of them and got offered 12 of the ones in the pics that are 3 foot square and no gaps - the printing company's use them for stacking magazines on - i collected them and then cheekily asked if there was any more, the reply was - help yourself after 10 pm any friday when the shifts finished lol  :lol: . . . . .. so i did   . . . . . . ended up with about 60 mixed sizes in total  :shock:

it's not stealing  . . . .  it's recycling unwanted sources of timber that are no longer required lol, seriously, i did ask if i could take them  . . . .  well, erm, most of the time ! i actually got told that round trafford park the general rule of thumb is that if they're left outside or on the roadside, help yourself cos they're just left in the hope that they don't have to pay to get them shifted. and there are literally hundreds  . . . . . .

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:39 »
From an earlier thread in this forum . . . . .

Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
did u use nails or screws for the gate dave? very impressed i have to say well done :D

dare u to make a shed out of one ;)

weasel  . . . . .  your wish is my command lol  :wink: watch this space

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 23:16 »
managed another couple of hours this evening after work, not done too bad by all accounts considering its blowing a bl**dy gale outside . . . . . if i get up in the morning and its all still there i'll know i've done well lol :o

got the first set of base panels down, drilled into the concrete and plugged them in place with some strategically placed pallets to keep it true lol

then went on to put up some uprights fo0r the next set of boards to make up the rest of the sides and back . . . . only problem is i've already gone through the 70 foot of slotted angle i bought so i'm back on ebay shortly to order another two packs lol

it's coming along though . . . . . . . :D

jack russell

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 00:45 »
Hi Dave instead of using expensive angle for the joins and posts why not use timber or am i missing something :shock:

looking good so far BTW  :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:59 »
thought about it jack but using slotted angle means i get straight lines, rigidity and the added bonus of being able to nut n bolt things to it simply, make shelves etc - the roof'll be like a greenhouse frame when it goes on so not a lot of chance of getting it wrong lol  :shock:

i'm paying about £5.50 per 7 foot length (and it took me ages to find it that cheap) so the cost compared with decent enough timber isn't really that much different and i only need to cut the length down, i haven't come across the need so far to have to cut angles as everything is just going up like a mechano set lol   :D

it's just been such a doddle doing it with the slotted angle i just wish i'd have thought of using it when i was making the duck house  . . . . . . .    :roll:

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 11:35 »
that really does look a neat job :D
I love the price you're paying for the wood. :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:37 »
Presume you'll do a bit of cross bracing cos the wind might have a good bash at it once it gets above fence height.

Brilliant job and cheap too. Have to find out where our local rag gets printed.

Rob

Dabhand

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 22:57 »
Looking good  :)

xx
Pallet shed?

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 19:04
by Baldy
xx
pallet shed fixings . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 11:39
by daveinmanc
xx
My project and its progress - Pallet shed

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

32 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 08:56
by stickmeup
xx
Pallet Shed Finished Help with nest boxes

Started by Fire2920 on Design and Construction

24 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 23:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 36 queries.