wing clipping again.

• 6 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

wing clipping again.
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:14 »
I've still not made my mind up 100% about this, so looking for some more opinions.

My chickens have a good sided enclosed secure run, but I want to let them out into the garden, I have spent time finding and covering holes, and put mesh over my side of a fence that has large gaps in it.

one side of the garden is a 4' fence with large spiky trees/shrubs at the other side up against the fence.
the other side is a 4'6"fence with a 2' deep shrub bed on our side, the shrubs are up to 8' in places, and quite dense.
The end of the garden is their pen/house and a solid 6' fence.

Im erring at the moment on the side of no clipping, the fence/tree combination to me seems like a good barrier for the chucks.

Im pretty confident in being able to collect the birds in in an evening, all 3 are quite happy around me, and one will eat from my hand, not bad for a week and a half. (not laying yet, but its only a matter of time, they are only 20 weeks and been with me a week and a half)

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
Re: wing clipping again.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:41 »
I have 4 ex batts and since their main wing feathers have grown back in I have been more and more concerned about them being able to go awol.  I have 6' fences round the perimeter and internal fences of 3' and 4'. 

The outside fences all have shrub bushes, trees and plants hiding the fences.

My gilrs have only played Houdini once in the few months I have had them and this was only because I left a step ladder in the garden under a tree after cutting some branches off it.  Even though it was a good 2 meters away from the fence, they still managed to lauch off the top step and land on the top of one of the outter fences.  However the soon turned round and jumped back down into the garden.

I have since removed all elevated escape routes to prevent this happening as i would really like to try and keep their wing feathers intact so they can attempt to hop and fly around their enclosure when they are put to bed.

I would think you would be OK with the set up of your garden as it is now
:)
4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29 »
It dosnt hurt them or bother them to get clipped, and in the long run they will be safer not being able to fly.  If they get out the run they can meet a dog in the day or a fox at night.

Mine are all clipped on one wing and are still able to jum onto the roof of the coop to pearch a goo 1m high jump.

Depends how high your fences are, and what you feel your chickens can reach that you want them to that they need wings for.

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29 »
hi mine are not clipped and i did wonder to do it ir not at first though iv only had them 3 weeks
i decided to see what happened first as they roam the garden all day puting themselves to bed when it gets dark i do have a run but i felt mean on them and let them have the run of place its a large garden and they love it
my garden is walled from 5-6 foot all around but there are plenty of things they can jump on to get over if they wanted too as well ,iv seen them on the garden table but they have not  tried to escape yet
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 18:02 »
I really ought to clip my girls as one in particular regularly launches herself over the fence (it's not that high as deer pass through my garden at all times of day & night, don't want  them tripping up!) and she has been spotted making her way down the farm track towards the pig farm - one over-adventurous speckled sussex!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 19:08 »
I didn't  clip, and glad I didn't as when the fox got in the compound at least one flew out of the way.

But I was worried she'd fly completely over and I'd lose her to the fox, so pushed her into the water butt  :lol: Sorry Bernadette, it was an accident

Pro's and con's both ways. I've decided not to, and to put higher fences up as it will help to keep the fox out. Along with many other strategies i am currently planning  >:(
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

bramford

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 20:54 »
clipped my girls and always will, they have the full run of the garden so don't want them going awol

xx
Wing clipping or not?

Started by marzi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:47
by joyfull
xx
Wing clipping

Started by Blue ranger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 11:21
by Blue ranger
xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 22:27
by Chookaholic
xx
Wing Clipping?

Started by bulliesrus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 04:24
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.