jerusalem artichokes

• 9 Replies

soaplady

jerusalem artichokes
« on: January 31, 2010, 13:22 »
Hello,

I am interested in trying to grow these this year. We have not tried them in a meal yet, but can't seem to find any to try? Would any of you reccommend them to grow?

Soaplady

PennyS

• My website
Re: jerusalem artichokes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 13:37 »
I understand you can just plant tubers you buy from the grocers.

I used "fuseau" last year in my garden and have kept back a few tubers to plant this year in the lotty.  They were fantastic plants in their own right, the crops are a bit of a bonus!  I had them planted in between sunflowers - they are related to these and very similar leaves.

I'm going to use them in with sunflowers again to give a bit of screening at the edge of the lotty so it masks my view of the road when I sit in the sun by my shed lol!

Penny  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

ex-cavator

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 14:51 »
They had some in our local B&Q yesterday - there was a stand containing 'value' tubers, etc, I think most were around £2.95 per bag. There were a number of things such as Jerusalem Artichokes, Horseradish, Garlic (couple of different varieties), Ginger, etc  ;)

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 16:10 »
I have seen them for sale in B & Q & in garden centres in the small packs containing one or two tubers.

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 16:17 »
Growing them is very, very easy soaplady. If I were you I would use the Search facility on this site for more information.

I'm sure you've heard that they are also known as fartichokes, and for good reason. However, the reaction to them varies from person to person. Some people just find themselves a little more flatulent than normal, at the other end of the scale people like me suffer from something akin to food poisoning and spend half the night on the loo. It really is worth trying them first, because once you've got them they are hard to get rid of.

gillie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 17:05 »
  W*rose are selling artichokes at present.  They have a very smooth, round variety and I thought I might plant some.   However they had very little flavour so we are going back to Fuseau, which is less knobbly than some.

Watch out for their screening ability.  Ours were going up over ten feet and then keeling over onto neighbouring crops.  In the end I had to attack them with Roundup but a few plants survive in odd places (how did a fartichoke manage to grow in the middle of a gooseberry bush?)

Cheers,

Gillie

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 20:53 »
I'm sure you've heard that they are also known as fartichokes, and for good reason.

Yes absolutely - don't eat them for dinner if you're at work the next day - I save them for Fridays lol :D

philsmith1967

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 21:35 »
If f##ting was an olympic event then I'm sure the athletes would eat these in abundance the night before....

GreenOwl

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 14:44 »
I think some of it is down to quantity.  Fartichoke soup is a mistake but just a few sliced raw in a salad or roast with your Sunday lunch are lovely. 

I'd say try before you grow, if you can't find them to try, wait until you can. 

Shadrak

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 16:44 »
I got  a pack from B&Q at the weekend anyone know the best way to store them befor they are ready to go in.

xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 10:54
by coldandwindy
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2017, 21:49
by DIGGER
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 14:42
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 14:38
by woodsmoke

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 35 queries.