Rhubarb question

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Rhubarb question
« on: April 20, 2019, 20:50 »
Why do we cut off the white part of a stick of rhubarb, the part that was attached to the crown? I notice retailers do the same. Is it purely a cosmetic/appearance thing or is it poisonous/tastes bad?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 22:34 »
I think it's probably partly cosmetic, partly perhaps cleanliness (perhaps less splashback on the more pinky, higher parts of the stem), and perhaps partly to do with packing the stems flat - the white bit is curved so takes up more space?

But I really am guessing here  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:09 »
I thought you trimmed both ends of a stick of rhubarb, as the bits closest to the root and leaf were where the compounds lurked that made the rest of the plant poisonous. 

This may well just be myths and legends passed down, but I do it every time without even thinking   :lol:

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 14:30 »
so another rhubarb question  ::) has anyone here heard of putting a bit of leaf into the hole before planting a brassica in it ? Suppose to prevent whitefly it seems worth trying I thought! And mulching a gooseberry bush to prevent sawfly! This should be easy to trial. don't fancy the one about boiling it in water and spraying veg although it seems not on the bits you are going to eat :unsure: :ohmy:
Could try boiling up leaves to clean stained pans but not sure I want this anywhere near my kitchen  :blush: :unsure: :wub:
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 17:15 »
so another rhubarb question  ::) has anyone here heard of putting a bit of leaf into the hole before planting a brassica in it ? Suppose to prevent whitefly it seems worth trying I thought! And mulching a gooseberry bush to prevent sawfly! This should be easy to trial. don't fancy the one about boiling it in water and spraying veg although it seems not on the bits you are going to eat :unsure: :ohmy:
Could try boiling up leaves to clean stained pans but not sure I want this anywhere near my kitchen  :blush: :unsure: :wub:

In the past I've used rhubarb leaves when planting brassicas.  I usually grow my brassicas on in pots, and one year I didn't have any lime left, so I tore rhubarb leaves to the right size, and wrapped them around the outside of the rootball when I planted the brassicas.  I didn't get club root, but there may not have been club root in that particular part of my plot.  I would have to try it in an area that I know is riddled with it, (and I know this because the year before last I lost all my brassicas despite having used some lime), before saying that it definitely works.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 15:06 »
Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid so it's not wise to use them as a spray! As it would lower the pH of the soil as opposed to lime which raises it I'm not convinced about using them. If you do then wash your hands afterwards as it's also poisonous!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 16:11 »
Both the leaves and stems of rhubarb contain oxalic acid (or salts of it), but the concentration in the leaves is much higher than in the stems.

(Interestingly, by weight, spinach contains more oxalic acid than rhubarb, and parsley and chives nearly twice as much - good job we tend not to eat any of them in massive quantities, although it might be worth bearing in mind if you're prone to kidney stones.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 17:39 »
well that's worth noting JayG something I didn't know about but I do now anyway I was always told that old gardeners would always put a piece of rhubarb down the hole when planting there brassicas never tried that myself used to use bromphos till they banned it

as for a rhubarb spray I have used it on my brassicas but boy o' boy does that stink after a few days in water I strained it before putting it in my sprayer but i also found there where many bugs in the Rhubarb tank so my other half made me dump it never used it since  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 17:44 »
In the past I've used rhubarb leaves when planting brassicas.  I usually grow my brassicas on in pots, and one year I didn't have any lime left, so I tore rhubarb leaves to the right size, and wrapped them around the outside of the rootball when I planted the brassicas.  I didn't get club root, but there may not have been club root in that particular part of my plot.  I would have to try it in an area that I know is riddled with it, (and I know this because the year before last I lost all my brassicas despite having used some lime), before saying that it definitely works.

As club root prefers acidic soil, we lime before planting. If your soil is riddled with it, there's very little you can do in the short term, but the last thing you should be thinking of is planting more acid with your brassicas!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 18:09 »
I agree, DD, that planting using acidic rhubarb leaves against club root defies all logic.  I have a couple of leftover, sturdy cabbage plants that I'm going to plant in the area that I know is rife with club root, wrapping their rootballs in rhubarb leaves.  I just need to know if it was pure luck when I used them before, or if, indeed for some strange reason, it does offer some protection.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 11:55 »
I agree, DD, that planting using acidic rhubarb leaves against club root defies all logic.  I have a couple of leftover, sturdy cabbage plants that I'm going to plant in the area that I know is rife with club root, wrapping their rootballs in rhubarb leaves.  I just need to know if it was pure luck when I used them before, or if, indeed for some strange reason, it does offer some protection.
In the post I read about putting a bit of rhubarb leaf in with the brassica it said it was to prevent whitefly not clubroot, how this is suppose to happen must be the plant taking it up into the leaves, not sure about this as we eat that plant.

xx
Another quiz question

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post October 11, 2020, 10:37
by jezza
xx
A medical question

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2023, 14:46
by mrs bouquet
xx
General question?

Started by seashell on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2023, 11:03
by John
xx
Maths question please ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 15:17
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 51 queries.