Woodburning stove installation

• 48 Replies

Thrift

Re: Woodburning stove installation
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 15:21 »
These people are a complete mystery. Common sense and logic doesn't seem to be on their radar.  ???

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 15:46 »
I forget the percentage, but with every bend in your pipes, it slows the exhaust flow by a considerable amount, which also drops more creosote (when burning wood) onto the pipe linings. A 45 degree bend is far better than a 90, but ideal is a straight run upward. As if that's going to happen  ;) More bends also constricts general air flow when using the LPG.

We don't do any extra cold air drops over here, but we had to with our oil burning furnace. If you're doing dual fuels, then you're stuck with the cold air supply. I believe this regulation was based on the assumption that all homes are now airtight (I can hear the peals of laughter).

smud6ie

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 19:09 »
"One confusing thing - he's coming out of the back of the stove, bending 90 degrees and up into the flue. He said a bend was illegal but he would use a T piece. Blessed if I can see what the difference would be. The smoke still goes around 90 degrees
"
A "T" is used as the bottom void can catch stuff that falls back down  ,the cap covering it can be used as access to inspect/sweep the flue.
  With a 90 bend anything falling  gets trapped against the stove baffle and restricts the flue gas which can lead to carbon monoxide being produced.
The production of carbon monoxide is another reason why  adequate ventilation is needed
smud6ie

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 23:22 »
I used stovesonline for a lot of the technical stuff.  It's all laid out in easy to understand language  :D  they will answer all your techy questions as well. Loads about flue sizes and ventilation etc. Go and have a look  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 19:17 »
A "T" is used as the bottom void can catch stuff that falls back down  ,the cap covering it can be used as access to inspect/sweep the flue.
  With a 90 bend anything falling  gets trapped against the stove baffle and restricts the flue gas which can lead to carbon monoxide being produced.
The production of carbon monoxide is another reason why  adequate ventilation is needed
smud6ie

Ahh, that T versus Bend thing makes sense now - thank you :)

I'm not really convinced that an air vent is really required, but I accept the regulations are the regulations, no matter how daft I think they are. And, in fairness, I'm not an engineer so my opinion isn't enough to know when I can over ride the rules safely.

I do know that if we had a fire and I'd got an illegal installation we could have problems with the insurance company. And, importantly, carbon monoxide kills.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Poolfield2

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 14:13 »
In a windy place fumes (from woodburner or boiler) can get blown back into the house so it is a good idea to have a carbon monoxide alarm.

In the snow the wind blew snow into our vent and effectively sealed us in with the fumes and the fumes got muckier as there wasn't enough oxygen to burn clean. :ohmy: The boiler did stop firing before the fumes built up too much fortunately!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 16:55 »
At the moment we've an open chimney tunnel with the wind howling down it. It's got a cowl on the top and not hugely drafty but it's very noisy.

Anyway, we've another quote coming next week and then, hopefully, we can get it set up. I did have someone offer to do the install but he's not HETAS so we'd need to get the council to give building regs approval.. they want £350 for that so whatever way you turn the till rings loudly :(

Poolfield2

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 21:55 »
If only the woodburner itself was the main cost :mad:

greenhorn

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 23:12 »
Vents are put into old drafty houses when a new heating system is installed in case someone later installs double glazing (removing the natural airflow), not many double glazing installers bother to think about  putting a vent in.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 09:06 »
Vents are put into old drafty houses when a new heating system is installed in case someone later installs double glazing (removing the natural airflow), not many double glazing installers bother to think about  putting a vent in.

I thought double glazing came with trickle vents as standard nowadays? Anyway, the regs for the stove are permanent vent which I take to mean a vent that you can't close.

If we had a wooden suspended floor then I could have run a vent up into the hearth but we've concrete.. and walls 3 feet thick.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08 »
As you may of read in one of my previous threads, we were looking at instlling the woodburner, but with the hellish nightmare of having it installed and insurance companies insistance on certification for installation etc we gave it up.
Nice idea but the reallity was a real spherical ache.
I don't envy you John, I am sure when its in you will be very pleased with it. By the way, I was told it would be probably best to have it swept twice a year, not sure if this is right, but the expense of twice a year sweeps makes it quite expensive to run.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Thrift

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37 »
I think the moral of this story is ...... don't tell 'them' everything ...... just do it!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37 »
I think the moral of this story is ...... don't tell 'them' everything ...... just do it!
Problem is, as happened in our little town, when a house went up, or more like went crispy the insurance failed to pay up, it hadn't been installed by HETAS and no certificate so no coverage on policy.
I know when we chatted to the insurance they said our policy covers it but three conditions apply..
1. Had to be installed by a HETAS person and certification produced (apperently hetas person does certificate, one copy to council via hetas HQ and one for us)
2. Our chimmney had to be lined to current regs, again hetas installed.
3. No cooking (includes toasting marshmellows and crumpets)
Who ever we spoke to all said to contact the insurance peeps. I also believe the regs changed 1/10/10.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 13:02 »
I wonder what happens if you have an ordinary fieplace and chimney, and the house catches fire :unsure: You don't have HETAS certification for pre existing fireplaces.

I really can't see that wood burners are any more dangerous than a roaring coal fire, I think it's just a way of making money from the new fashion for stoves  :(

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 13:30 »
It was a dream of ours to have a woodburner in our non chimney semi but having spoken to a HETAS qualified engineer sadly that's all it will remain, easier/cheaper for us to move! I believe the regs now state that a carbon monoxide alarm must be fitted, sensible in my opinion. Good luck John, trust you are settling in.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.