Nettle fertiliser science research

• 5 Replies

sladefungus

Nettle fertiliser science research
« on: June 07, 2018, 14:33 »
I looked for some scientific research on the benefits of nettle tea and found surprisingly little, and this most recent paper found that there were no significant effects of nettle fertiliser on potatoes.

https://peerj.com/articles/4729/

Has anyone done their own experiments i.e. added stinky nettle solution to half of their crops and seen any difference to the unfertilised?

Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Nettle fertiliser science research
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 14:42 »
I would not expect a huge impact using nettle tea for potatoes, as nettle tea is used as a high nitrogen mix ie for supporting leafy growth, and potatoes are roots (tubers) which require phosphates

I use it for cabbages and other leafy greens, but haven't set up and controlled measures
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 15:22 »
I would not expect a huge impact using nettle tea for potatoes, as nettle tea is used as a high nitrogen mix ie for supporting leafy growth, and potatoes are roots (tubers) which require phosphates

I use it for cabbages and other leafy greens, but haven't set up and controlled measures

I do the same. Nettle tea for leafy greens, comfrey tea for anything that flowers and the other water butt is full of "nasty" weeds that I wouldn't compost, and I use that for whatever else needs a bit of a boost.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 18:51 »

I do the same. Nettle tea for leafy greens, comfrey tea for anything that flowers and the other water butt is full of "nasty" weeds that I wouldn't compost, and I use that for whatever else needs a bit of a boost.
Thats very useful info as I have a bucket of them both
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:08 »

[/quote]
Can you add couch grass into the nasties butt ? I won't add to the compost bins as I have seen them re rooting and growing in there

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:14 »
I do tend to leave out couch grass and bindweed, just in case, but everything else goes in.  I don't have marestail on my plot, but I certainly wouldn't put that in either.   I spread these out to dry, and then burn them when we're allowed bonfires.

xx
nettle fertiliser

Started by breton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 20:31
by Steveharford
xx
Nettle Tea/Yuck fertiliser?

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 07, 2007, 21:01
by shaun
xx
Rocket Science..& more please

Started by Togalosh on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 17:58
by SkipRat
xx
Growing Veg - it's not Rocket Science ....

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 11:28
by peapod

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 45 queries.