fertilisers

• 5 Replies

LILLILEAF

fertilisers
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:04 »
I will have fruit tree's,hazelnuts and veg,and many flowers grown from seed, that i will have growing come spring most will need a boost?,which one do you go for?,there are so many to choose from,slow release,liquid,powered,any suggestions or advice would be great.
This year i have my new greenhouse to use :)Lillileaf

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: fertilisers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:24 »
For trees I tend just to mulch with manure or compost, and I make compost to dig into the plot.  Everything else gets a pretty simple regime  :)

If you want a general purpose feed, Growmore is cheap, covers the bases and easy to use.   I use pelleted chicken manure a lot.  This is high nitrogen, so is good for getting veg growing.

In the greenhouse, I tend to have 2 liquid feeds on hand - a tomato feed for anything fruiting and a general one for anything growing.  The general liquid feeds for veg are high nitrogen as well.

Leaves and shoots need nitrogen
Roots need phosphorus
Fruits need potassium

This is the NPK referred to on fertilizers and what the numbers on the pack indicate.  One that said 20-10-10 would have twice as much nitrogen as the other 2 nutrients.

Don't buy lots of things for different jobs.  If you look at the NPK numbers on the pack, you'll see a lot of stuff sold for strawberries, or green veg or various other things all actually have the same content  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33 »
I agree with NS, the organic equivalent of Growmore is Fish, Blood and Bone, which I often use, plus chicken manure pellets.

Have you had a look at John's fertiliser info pages? Lots of info there.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/composts-fertilisers/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46 »
We have foxes patrolling our site, so Fish, Blood and Bone sends them into a frenzy of digging  ::)  Its good stuff though if you can get away with it  :)

BTW, if you have a dog, they can sometimes be fascinated by chicken manure pellets and try and eat them.   My neighbour was chucking them around like I do, until she noticed her dog hoovering them up behind her -  bleeuuuggghh  :tongue2:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 09:59 »
With Growmore at £16 per 25Kg sack, at our local farm supplies outlet, I rarely deviate other than to use copious amounts of horse-muck and buy the occasional sack of pasture fertilizer (at £16 per 25Kg also) for lawns

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 12:59 »
To add to this thread,

Organic fertilisers, on the whole, tend to be more 'slow release' then conventional fertilisers. This does give you a bit of flexibility if you know that you are going to be away when you want N, P or K actually available to the plants. I've been known to mix a half dose of prilled urea and a half dose of blood to get an extended action of N on 'hungry' crops like corn if I know that I'm away for a month at precisely the wrong time.

xx
Old Fertilisers etc

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:59
by ex-cavator
xx
What fertilisers do you use

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 14:55
by snow white
xx
Fertilisers

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
fertilisers

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:19
by aelf

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 37 queries.