What I did on the plot today 2016

• 533 Replies

Stewarty

Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2016, 17:12 »
This afternoon I went along to check the aftermath of the mighty roaring fire I had yesterday. When I took these plots on in  1986 there were some already-old-and-rickety sheds along the back. During the past year one of these actually fell down  -  I'd just been using them for things like onion-drying spaces, and random storage of stuff like the massive collection of 5-litre plastic bottles I use for springtime cloches. So I knocked down another, piled up all the debris, topped it with scores of tall sunflower stalks and other trimmings, stuffed it with 2 months worth of newspapers, and with one match it was blazing.
The rule on our site is that you can have fires after 6pm, or 'at dusk', whatever that means. I put the match to it at about 3pm, and was still there nearly an hour after sunset, at 4.45. Though the thermometer was below zero, I got jolly hot!  There being no wind at all forecast, and a cold frosty night with its elements of dampness, I judged it would be OK to leave it with the embers flaming slightly. Fortunately I was right (this time), and this afternoon there was a large, neat, satisying pile of ash.  The remaining old sheds and various bits of debris will be piled there over the next few weeks.
Then on to planning and building the splendid new 'dacha' to occupy the space of the old sheds. As I'm up-to-date with all the cultivation aspects of the plots I'll have the luxury of plundering my son's collection of old timbers, windows, etc, and attempt to come up with some fascinating Heath-Robinson structure...

snowdrops

« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2016, 17:30 »
This afternoon I went along to check the aftermath of the mighty roaring fire I had yesterday. When I took these plots on in  1986 there were some already-old-and-rickety sheds along the back. During the past year one of these actually fell down  -  I'd just been using them for things like onion-drying spaces, and random storage of stuff like the massive collection of 5-litre plastic bottles I use for springtime cloches. So I knocked down another, piled up all the debris, topped it with scores of tall sunflower stalks and other trimmings, stuffed it with 2 months worth of newspapers, and with one match it was blazing.
The rule on our site is that you can have fires after 6pm, or 'at dusk', whatever that means. I put the match to it at about 3pm, and was still there nearly an hour after sunset, at 4.45. Though the thermometer was below zero, I got jolly hot!  There being no wind at all forecast, and a cold frosty night with its elements of dampness, I judged it would be OK to leave it with the embers flaming slightly. Fortunately I was right (this time), and this afternoon there was a large, neat, satisying pile of ash.  The remaining old sheds and various bits of debris will be piled there over the next few weeks.
Then on to planning and building the splendid new 'dacha' to occupy the space of the old sheds. As I'm up-to-date with all the cultivation aspects of the plots I'll have the luxury of plundering my son's collection of old timbers, windows, etc, and attempt to come up with some fascinating Heath-Robinson structure...

That must have been satisfying, love the sound of the dascha, will it come complete with vodka? 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #527 on: December 04, 2016, 17:40 »
Spent an hour digging over my new half plot and digging up maris peer potatoes left by previous owner. Pretty good crop with minimal slug damage
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

riggers24

« Reply #528 on: December 04, 2016, 22:58 »
I've been putting the finishing touches to my shed and replace the felt. Putting manure over the garden and having a great bonfire getting rid of the final pile of weeds and old wood I had littering the plot.

chillimummy

« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2016, 21:18 »
Back again to my new half plot. :)
Finished digging where potatoes had been. Good look around the fruit bushes to check what there is, pretty overgrown.
On my half, pulled up some more turnips and re netted my cabbages.
Cut back the last few raspberries I had missed.
Had a good look around to try and plan next year.

Aled

« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2016, 12:26 »
Put some wood ash in the compost bin!
Cheers
Aled

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #531 on: December 08, 2016, 20:05 »
I've been busy adding manure for the past couple of days. That should keep the weeds down for a while.
IMG_1241a.jpg

Paul Plots

« Reply #532 on: December 10, 2016, 01:13 »
A lovely Friday.... warm and not too blowy so a few hours spent in the garden veg plot:

Cleared dead leaves and cabbage stumps from around the purple sprouting broccoli and recovered with a higher debris net frame.

Edged a very long concrete path with the half-moon then used the moss/grass strips to cover a patch of dahlias in the hope of protecting them from the worst of the winter. Topped with compost.

Trimmed and tidied the chrysanthemums covering them with a barrow load of compost.

Did a little digging....lifted and chopped some huge beetroot as by now they develop an earthy-taste that Mrs Plots is not too fond of.   

Collected and stored canes and their toppers.

Played with the cat, (distracted it while a speedy frog escaped), listened to the radio and fed the budgies in the aviary.  A lovely unhurried, undemanding day.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

riggers24

« Reply #533 on: December 30, 2016, 16:09 »
Well spent a lovely five hours on the plot, I've been able to move my rhubarb and three gooseberry bushes to the new half plot I took over.

Picked the fina chillis off my plants in the greenhouse and started cleaning the bench ready for next years plants.

But my fight with the creeping buttercup weeds continues, I will get rid of this pest.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 39 queries.