What I did on the plot today 2016

• 533 Replies

Beekissed

Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #495 on: October 10, 2016, 22:41 »
Move perennials, transplanted some strawberries, built a cold frame and moved composted horse and cow manure to fill it, then a layer of old straw, then a top layer of potting soil.  Need to put some hoops over it and plant it next. 

chillimummy

« Reply #496 on: October 10, 2016, 22:57 »
Chopped back most of my tomatoes, just a few plants left now with tomatoes just needing to ripen fully and some small cucumbers on two plants which am hoping will grow.
Done really well with tomatoes eventually with the sunshine.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Aled

« Reply #497 on: October 11, 2016, 09:55 »
Took down all the plastic growing houses. They are now in the garage ready for winter. I've got some beetroot and butternut squash left to harvest before i'll dig the patch over and manure. Cleaned up outside.
Winter is on the way, lets hope for some proper cold dry winter weather rather than warm and wet!
Cheers
Aled

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #498 on: October 11, 2016, 14:06 »
Sprayed my Brussels sprouts with diluted washing up liquid to deter the whitefly.
Grabbed some beetroot and collected garlic and onions from shed.
Realised I have a lot of work to do to tidy up for winter😱😱

Cheers HH
Keep digging

p6t6

« Reply #499 on: October 11, 2016, 22:27 »
Repairing structures as well as clearing and tidying away things before the winter.
Weeding

Lardman

« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2016, 15:04 »
Finally made a couple of hours to spend in the garden  on tier 3  :)

Weeded around the apple trees.
Cut back the last of the asparagus, weeded and dug over the bed they were covering.
Weeded the asparagus bed itself.
Weeded around the blueberry bushes.
Weeded and dug over the tomato bed; so many bindweed roots  :( 

I've not done much weeding this year and it really shows, I expect I'll be suffering for it next year too when all the seeds germinate.  :mad:

My 'to-do' list looks far more manageable now and most if it needs to be done when the plants have gone dormant.  Needless to say things look at better now too  :nowink:

chillimummy

« Reply #501 on: October 15, 2016, 17:39 »
Managed couple of hours at plot in the sunshine. Dug up and weeded area of my last row of desiree potatoes Some were slug damaged but eventually got reasonable amount.
Dug over last bit where my blackcurrant bushes had been and now large area dug over and looking better.
Have large bonfire to burn of weeds, rasperries and potatoe and foliage.
Haven't managed to get to plot much last few months but each time I go, manage to get a lot done so happy at plot looking ok.
Pulled up green beans so that is next bit to dig over and weed ready for my autumn red onions and garlic.
Picked some turnip with no slug holes  :) and fennel and my first cabbage finally. 

Aled

« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08 »
Harvested the beetroot, and the last of the onions.
Cheers
Aled

Beekissed

« Reply #503 on: October 20, 2016, 16:08 »
Rearranging cattle panel trellises today to make a hoop house/field house for growing winter greens.  Beets and turnips are up, will be using those tops for salads this winter if they grow well. 

Carrots are up, but the romaine is dragging behind. 

Still have strawberries coming on, as well as a few green and jalapeno peppers.  Haven't had a hard frost yet this year, so I guess things will hang on until then. 

miggs

« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2016, 15:51 »
Not been able to get to the for a month since I hurt my back at work. Spent a few hours at the plot yesterday and got quite a surprise. It looked ok, maybe because of all the work I have done this year keeping it weed free. All year, if I am not weeding I am digging it over. So when I got there yesterday I pleased to see not many weeds at all.
I cleared all the Toms and the last of the Sweetcorn. Dug up a bag of spuds as well. Still got quite a few spuds left in, will get them in a few weeks. Strimmed all the paths before I left, until the strimmer line ran out. Had good few hours. As the weather looks good for the week, I will go after work this week while I am on earlies.

18Forts1999

« Reply #505 on: October 24, 2016, 19:12 »
Hope your back is better, Miggs.  I haven't been to my plot either for a while - backache removing old pond and surrounding rockery prior to replacing with larger pond. Didn't realise Derbyshire Gritstone came in such big lumps  ::)
Anyway, today I managed to obtain some bags of manure and have taken it to the lottie so now will have to make the effort to go and spread it :D Have to say I am feeling a wee bit guilty when I read of how everyone else is working so hard. ;)

miggs

« Reply #506 on: October 25, 2016, 16:14 »
As the back is a lot better now, just got home after visiting the plot after work. Dug up the last of the spuds and did some general tidying up. Started to dig the edges of some of the other beds. Like I said earlier the beds have stayed soft, because all year if I am not weeding I am digging the beds. Now to prepare the bed for my winter Onion sets.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #507 on: October 25, 2016, 18:49 »
Miggs, have you considered adapting your gardening to a 'no-dig' method?

It would surely save you pain and discomfort.

My experience is that back injury, once incurred, will return whenever you're not looking. Remember that digging over your garden just brings weed seeds to the surface, rather than them remaining a non-issue when underground as they haven't germinated.

Food for thought, perhaps......
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Flowertot

« Reply #508 on: October 26, 2016, 08:40 »
Over the last 2 days I have cleared away the climbing bean wigwams and the finished pumpkin and courgette plants and dug over/weeded the 2 large beds they were in. Much tidier  :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #509 on: October 26, 2016, 13:31 »
Just dug over weedy raised bed with remnants of courgette plants. Rather too much couch grass lurking in the bed for my liking going to drown them before composting. Covered bed with black plastic to prevent further weed germination. Then collected some more autumn raspberries still amazingly producing.
Cheers HH
Lots more to do!!!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 35 queries.