Very Poorly Chicken

• 4 Replies
Very Poorly Chicken
« on: May 25, 2011, 20:53 »
Hi, I am new to this forum as well as chicken keeping at home, although I work on a city farm so know a little about poultry.
I have four chickens - two are 'speckledy's' - both acquired as POLs about two weeks ago from a poultry breeding outfit. I checked both of these chickens when I brought them and they seemed healthy. The one in question laid a couple of eggs but none since. The other has not laid yet. The other two are exbats rescued last week.

I have noticed for a few days that one of the speckledys was drinking a lot of water and in the past couple of days eating very little. Today she is lethargic, drinking a huge amount of water, has an empty crop and very little meat on her. She sometimes has a string of saliva/ water that comes from her beak. I have made a warm mash from layers pellets, corn and meal worms and very gently opened her beak and fed a little. Yesterday I ordered some nettex poultry nutri drops which I hope will perk her up a little but I fear she may be too far gone for that. Any advice, please. I feel like I've fallen at the first hurdle by not recognising that I have most probably brought a poorly chicken :(

Re: Very Poorly Chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 21:27 »
I should also have mentioned that one of my colleagues came up yesterday to look at her and noted she was occassionally gasping and her breath was ever so slightly fishy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 21:29 »
I would get her to a vet as soon as possible chickens hide their illnesses very well and by the time you realise that they are ill they can be very ill  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 18:20 »
Hi, My chicken went to the vets yesterday and the vet found that she had a slightly fetid/yellow tongue. She didn't know the cause of this, but could be fungus, infection, etc. I think there must be something underlying as I don't simply think a poorly tongue could cause her to be so ill. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
She has been wormed as a precaution and given baytril (antibiotic) to take daily. We have been advised to keep force feeding her the mash so she gets some food down her.
However she is no better, and fading fast - I am at a loss to what more we can do to save her - any suggestions more than welcome...
We have also given her some nutrient drops and yesterday I syringed a little olive oil down her just in case it was sour crop although her crop feels empty. :(

avalonbirds

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11 »
Hi
If she's gasping for breath then it sounds like a respiritory disease, if this is the case be careful of syringing into her in case she chokes or drowns. We use Tyalan solubal in the water bowl, but if they are too week to drink then there is not much you can do to save then  :(.
Try if she's eating to boil up an egg, let it cool down a bit and mash up. This is good as it contains vits & mins that are most natural to hens. Keep her warm, I usually put in a cardboard box (can be burned after to kill nasties), with a hot waterbottle and a blanket.
Hope this helps, my fingers are crossed for you.....
I always say 'another mouth to feed won't hurt' .......

xx
poorly chicken

Started by scarlet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 20:19
by scarlet
xx
Poorly Chicken - Help

Started by otis pony on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 21:42
by otis pony
xx
poorly chicken

Started by shanta on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 17:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 39 queries.