Bought a greenhouse...

• 11 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Bought a greenhouse...
« on: March 28, 2011, 13:09 »
Finally took the plunge and have gone for a Palram Greenline 6 x 4.  It's polycarbonate (single, not twinwall).    There was a twinwall version but only available in silver and as it's going to be very in-your-face I thought green might look less conspicuous.

It's going in a sheltered spot in the garden so I hope the fact that it's single polycarb won't be a risk factor!

I understand that these are a complete and utter nightmare to assemble so am expecting the worst, especially inserting the glazing panels.  Will let you know how it goes...  any top tips greatly appreciated.

I did  really want an Elite but the lead time was just too long.

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bought a greenhouse...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 13:51 »
silicon your polycarb panels in place, cos they try to pop out when it is windy ;)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 13:53 »
Oooh thanks MOS.  I shall get myself a fresh tube!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 15:27 »
Well, greenhouse arrived (next day delivery, not bad!) - will get a new tube of silicone this week and hubby and I will assemble it at the weekend, hopefully without too many arguments  :tongue2:

Ordered a heater yesterday too... so as soon as it's up, it'll be in use.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 16:47 »
OK. Woudl I buy one of these again?  At the moment I'm really not sure!

"Allow at least 180 minutes for construction", the instructions said.

Well it's taken 2 of us most of yesterday morning and all of today (from about 10.30) to put the thing together.  Neither of can feel our thumbs any more.  And we are 2 nuts short (always thought as much) so can't finish putting the opening window in until tomorrow when we can get more nuts.

Having said that, it looks OK but we'll have to see once it's up and running, whether it has been worth all the blood, sweat and tears.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 17:39 »
You're lucky you had help  :D  I put up a garden frame on my own in the kitchen (as you do) and I ended up practically crippled. The damned thing wasn't even mine  :D

Enjoy your new greenhouse.  Mine are all unheated and I have loads of stuff growing away in them. The delicate stuff is still in the house  :)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 21:21 »
Oh boy! We've been trying to assemble my brand new polycarb greenhouse from Norfolk Greenhouses this afternoon/ eve. It rained and it hailed, then the sun shone as dusk fell. Four hours it took to master the back and the front   :mad:

Long way to go  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 22:30 »
It would help if they numbered the pieces wouldn't it? Son in law seemed to take more time actually finding the pieces needed as he did actually fixing them together  :(

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 22:55 »
Once it's up and running and you have your plants in there you will have forgotten the hard work it was putting it together. :happy:  Good luck will all you do in it  :)

stevet

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 23:42 »
I assembled a 10 x 6 from Waltons in just over a day using the double polycarbonate.

I would suggest only use the silicon once you are happy that everything is ok because some of our panels came out a couple of times while we messed around with the shape.

Just paid £359 for a 10 x 6.5 with double skip polycarb which I thought was decent value when i shopped around.  (Although I will be ordering a couple of auto window openers separately).

Once everything was done it was a good feeling to peel back the protective sheets.

Can't wait to start growing.

steve

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:42 »
We were lucky in that the pieces were at least numbered.  It was putting in the glazing strips that tested us.  A special tool is provided but the instructions on how to put in the glazing strips don't show you how to use it - they only show you using a thumb. 

So it wasn't until we were nearly finished that we finally worked out how you were supposed to use the tool (and to be honest, thumbs worked better).

Must nip to the diy shop to day to get more nuts, want to get it put in place and finished off today.  I had a day planned on the allotment (I'm very behind) yesterday and never got there at all.  Grrrr!

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 20:06 »
Oh theyr're numbered alright, it's the "helpful diagram" to guide you that sends your eyes squiffy  :wacko: Nipped to the lotty this pm to put the assembled parts flat on the ground for fear of damage from the gales. Roll on Thurs when the weather looks more on our side to have another go  ;)

xx
Bought this, any tips on how!!

Started by Dopey113 on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 06:00
by joyfull
xx
Bought a Green house - which way should I set it up

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 09:02
by mumofstig
xx
First greenhouse

Started by timn on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 19:44
by timn
xx
My new greenhouse

Started by noshed on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2018, 13:28
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.