Guinea pigs

• 12 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Guinea pigs
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:31 »
Today i'm getting my young cousins guinea pig and rabbit that they have lost interest in.
The only thing is i've never had a guinea pig before!
Do you just look after them the same as you would a rabbit?
I feed my current rabbits on Burgess Excel, is this suitable for the piggy too?

Thanks =)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Guinea pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:19 »
going to try and let them out in the fencing because the holes are quite small.
But will supervise them for a while and if it escapes there's a run they can live in

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21 »
Guinea pigs shouldnt have many wet greens (cucumber, tomato, too much fruit) as it gives them wet tail. It should have their own food as they have different dietary requirements than rabbits, the pellets are best as they contain everything a piggy needs. Topshooter is right about vit c, they really need it, so a piece of orange every couple of days, or carrots galore will be fine. The will eat as many dry greens as you give them, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, broccolli etc. They are eating machines and will just keep going, so be careful not to overfeed. I bowl of food and a couple of handfuls of greens a day will be fine, especially if its going to be on grass as they keep your lawns lovely and short :)
They are easily scared though and will take a while to chill out in its new home. They are lovely animals and will squeak its head off when it sees you after a while :)
This is a decent site for the basics
http://www.cavyspirit.com/care.htm

All the sites will say guineas and rabbits shouldnt be kept together, and I'm not sure why people put them together, but if your two are used to it and dont squabble, then just leave them to it. Watch for fighting, older rabbits can get grumpy. If this happens, you'll need to split them up and get another guinea pig as company as a single piggy is a sad piggy xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25 »
If the piggy is too little to run free, might try and convince my mum to let me get another piggy and rabbit to pair them up!
Would feel bad having one rabbit in a run whilst the other two run free.
Will see how it goes!
Thanks for the help =)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 21:04 »
Guinea pig will be fine on rabbit food so long as you provide daily carrots :)

In my experience though the rabbit will possibly kick the poor gp and injure it :(  I wont sell gps to go with rabbits for this reason :(

I have never had a guinea pig with wet tail though.... its really a bacterialn hamster disease .... but they could get the squits if they get damp or draughty.

Good luck with them .... rescued pets are always the best :)

I have five gps at the moment .,,, all rescued and all lovely :)

I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 23:00 »
I had 2 guinsey wiggles ...one was Rosetta cos her fur was in circular rosettes, and the other was called Doogie (short for Doogie Woogie doodle all the day  ::) ) YD named him  :lol:
He was originally in with my Angora bunny, but when I discovered this was not a good idea, I bought Rosetta for company for him, and they lived a long and happy life, leaving home and going with my eldest when she left home. 

Excellent pets, and I love their little squeaky chuckled greetings. 

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 23:20 »
They have arrived!
The bunny is only very small and grooms the guinea so hopefully they will be okay together!
They've been together for the last few years so would feel horrible splitting them now when they cuddle up together!
After seeing the speed of the guinea I have realised it (not sure if it's a boy or girl) can not be let out in the large run with the other animals as I would never catch it again!
So I've been out and bought them a nice big cage and a run for them to go in during the day!
Hopefully they'll be happy in their new home =) Never had a bunny that's so docile before! he/she just sits in your hand! I had to wash his/hers matted fur when it arrived and it just sat there whilst i finished and dried it!
So happy!!!!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 09:18 »
Awww, thats so lovely. Congrats on your new additions and it's so sweet that they get along so well. Its probably a boy rabbit, they're much friendlier than girls.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:28 »
We think it's a boy rabbit and a girl piggy.
So the names have been switched round, I felt bad calling a boy Chanel!
I now have Coco the rabbit and Chanel the piggy.
My other boy rabbit Charlie has been up to the run and having a sniff at Coco, but all seems well so far.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:02 »
Photos of Coco and Chanel...
Snapshot 2010-08-27 10-04-22.jpg
Snapshot 2010-08-27 10-05-40.jpg

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 16:04 »
Im sorry to say but guinea pigs and rabbits shouldnt be kept together,  they have different needs and one kick from the rabbit and it could seriously injure the guineapig.   Also rabbits have a natural instinct of mounting and for it to mount the guineapig later on when they are bigger it may also injure the guineapig.    I personally wouldnt feed guineas on rabbit food,  they need there own food, there are many brands, pellets are probably best as it stops selective feeding . Feed lots of  Veggies,greens with a high content of vit c is essential,  i used to keep and show guineas and everyday they had a few carrots, greens, cabbage, brocolli,  keep away from apples and lettuce as as carla has said it will give them the runs.   Guinea pigs are natural grazes so hay should be always avaiable,  guineas have to contantly grind down there teeth so hay does this really well.    Good luck with them and i hope it works out.   nickyx
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 16:06 by nicky d »
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

spottymint

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 19:36 »
Hi

Kept & bred piggies as a kid.

Females in one hutch & males in another. All got on fine, were fed greens (cabbage)  & Carrots daily with rabbit mix & hay.

1980's, never heard of G pig mix.

All lived to an old age, no runny bum's ect & a few lived with rabbits, no problems.
The pigs slept on the rabbits backs.

I can however understand, some rabbits may be too boistrouse for G pigs and could injure them.

See how they interact is my advice.  :)

Watch for hay injuring the eyes of the piggies, had 2 this happened to, vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops. 2 weeks later - Dead ! Most antibiotics are FATAL to G pigs.  :(

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 19:41 »
They both seem to be settling in fine! =)
The rabbit is really small, he's only a tiny bit bigger than the piggy. (He's still not afraid to chase the rabbits that are 4 times his size though or the chickens)
All seems to be going well though!

xx
Guinea pigs

Started by Thompson24 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 13:33
by nzdunn
xx
Christopher, how many guinea pigs do we have ?

Started by Beetroot queen on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 21:28
by purplejaguar
xx
new guinea pigs settling in.

Started by timtheenchanteruk on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 19:26
by Raven81
xx
guinea pigs and chickens

Started by pepperpot77 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 21:46
by spottymint

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.