Will she return to her old position????

• 4 Replies

Pretty Chick

Will she return to her old position????
« on: July 15, 2010, 15:42 »
Albertine's being a great mum to her two 3 week old chicks.
Before she became broody, she was 2nd out of 18 in the pecking order, so was more or less the boss along with the top girl - Blanche.

I took her out of the run she is in with the chicks so she can have a 5 min break from them and was surprised the other chickens came charging at her, trying to peck her in a mean way! The cockerel decided he would join in the bullying too by trying to do the same as the hens (he was in his enclosure, so wasn't able to reach Albertine/Bertie).
Before being broody, Bertie wouldn't have tolerated this behaviour, but this time was desperately trying to run away from them.

So my question is..... When it's time for Bertie to stop being mum to the two chicks, will she go back to being 2nd in the pecking order?
When should I re- introduce her to the others?

She has been mum to another chick before, but that was a long while ago so can't really remember if there was trouble then, but I do know there certainly wasn't so much fuss then!!

Thanks  :).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 15:45 by Pretty Chick »
All lives are precious.

hillfooter

Re: Will she return to her old position????
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 18:22 »
If she's been isolated out of sight it's not entirely surprising.   The other hens could well be telling her to get back to her chicks too just like they would do if a broody leaves the nest.  I would let nature take it's course and not intevene by "giving her a break".  When she judges it's time to integrate with the others and the chicks are old enough to look after themselves she'll stop nurturing them. 

Who knows where she might be in the pecking order on her return but I can't see why she shouldn't assume her previous position.  I wouldn't worry.

HF
Truth through science.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 18:54 »
Thanks.

She was shut in one of the hen houses by herself while she was sitting on the eggs and just over a week ago I transferred her and the chicks outside into a small run inside one of the enclosures (so they are safe from predators), so the others have been able to see her for over a week.

I wasn't really interfering, Bertie looked as if she wanted to be out and I think she wanted a dust bath, so I let her out, they charged at her and then she wanted to be back in with the chicks.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 15:56 »
Our broody Winnie decided for herself when the chicks were about 5 - 6 weeks old  she just walked back to the flock now looks like she has lost rank and is about 4th in the order from being 2 nd
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Pretty Chick

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 16:07 »
Our broody Winnie decided for herself when the chicks were about 5 - 6 weeks old  she just walked back to the flock now looks like she has lost rank and is about 4th in the order from being 2 nd

Thank you Celtic Eagle  :).

I suppose I'll have to wait and see if she goes back to being 2nd, or falls a few places.

xx
Allotment Chickens - Council change position

Started by BigPaddy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 17:26
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 28 queries.