a rotavator from freecycle all will be revealed tonite

• 67 Replies

philskin

Re: just picked up a rotavator from freecycle
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09 »
The black bolts are were i believe the guide fits on

this is how i think it goes ,or is this pinching the belt to much

on this one when you pull the lever it just jams the belt into the guide

and here you can see the bolts just dont line up ,but the problem is untill i get the parts book i dont know how much of the guide is missing thanks for looking  help please its doing my head in  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:15 by philskin »
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 10:41 »
Hello Phil,                                                                                                                                         The second photo doesn't look right with the belt over the middle bit....looks better in the 3rd photo.??...

Could it be that the belt is a wrong un??  Does it look a bit long??   I wonder if that was a past attempt to get it to come out of drive without the guide....the operating manual being anotated with belt numbers and Qualcat ref perhaps suggests that a troubled belt search has taken place in the past.??

Perhaps a pm to Richard T may be a way forward.??  He is the MT guru busy amasing info in support of MT   www.merrytiller.co.uk

Hopefully the manual you have found will provide the answers too  :)

All the best,
  "Dori"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

philskin

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2009, 10:46 »
thanks for that ive been wondering about the belt ,my sanity ,why do we exist oh god ,hurry up and arrive manual  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2009, 10:54 »

Restoration projects tend to go a bit like this...just when all is sailing along.....it matters not whether it is in this scene or another....ask the NRM about how they are doing with the Flying Scotsman locomotive....or the battles that the Avro Vulcan team have had.... ;)

Meanwhile, I have been pondering over a tell tale wear line in the crankcase side that is visible in the first photo..??

"Dori"  ...on here. ;)

philskin

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2009, 12:06 »
Meanwhile, I have been pondering over a tell tale wear line in the crankcase side that is visible in the first photo..??

"Dori"  ...on here. Wink

what do you mean could that be done by the position of the belt or do you meam theres problems with the engine ?   :( :(

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 12:28 »
Oops, no....I had best try to explain

In puzzling out what went where etc I noticed that there is a slight worn? line in the crankcase side running horizontal forward from about level with the back dowel peg....I did not mean I had spotted any nasty damage...I just was thinking that this had been caused quite naturally in service by the chatter of a bracket fitting and was trying to use this as a reference to see how things fitted on...that's all...

.....panic not....hopefully.. :) 

"Dori"

philskin

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 14:37 »
thanks dori had me having kittens there lol :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :D :D :D :ohmy: :ohmy:

Gwiz

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 19:29 »
Hello Phil,                                                                                                                                         The second photo doesn't look right with the belt over the middle bit....looks better in the 3rd photo.??...

Could it be that the belt is a wrong un??  Does it look a bit long??   I wonder if that was a past attempt to get it to come out of drive without the guide....the operating manual being anotated with belt numbers and Qualcat ref perhaps suggests that a troubled belt search has taken place in the past.??

Perhaps a pm to Richard T may be a way forward.??  He is the MT guru busy amasing info in support of MT   www.merrytiller.co.uk

All the best,
  "Dori"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ditto all of the above Phil.
Also ditto regarding the belt. It does sound like it's too long........
Ah, and sorry about the delay getting back to you, It's been very busy around here for the past few days!! :blink:

philskin

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 19:49 »

All the best,
  "Dori"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ditto all of the above Phil.
Also ditto regarding the belt. It does sound like it's too long........
Ah, and sorry about the delay getting back to you, It's been very busy around here for the past few days!! :blink:

hope youve been busy in the garden graham ,not grabbing at work lol                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 22:06 »
Now it is my turn to get worried....as everything is arriving in weirdly disjointed Quote mode. :ohmy: :unsure: ;)..

Hello Graham,
        I am just not deeply enough familiar with this model other than to fit it in an 'istorical time line in my head :unsure:
 ...But on a n other forum with another "hat" on I did have a bit of a worry that there may have been an unknown engine or block or crankcase sideplate transplant in some unknown past history.??..my thought there was of the 4 alternative threaded mounting holes that are around some engines side covers..as a location for the guide.?? 
 I then wandered away from that thought to crankcase bolt mounting idea.?..spaced off as is done on some machines...such as on the Little Wonder Edgers... I have even thought since that there may have been another additional bracket.??

I am still unsure but hoping it all comes out ok in the wash when Phil gets the manual... :ohmy: :unsure:

Thinking a bit further Phil....the bracket in an earlier photo was pictured in postion in the cover...  With the bracket returned to cover and the whole lot offered up...where does that put the guides position.??

All the best
           "Dori"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 22:08 by dorimower »

philskin

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03 »
I have just sent an email to the chap who gave me the rotovator  to check that belt , guide and engine are all as they should be  ie original  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 09:01 »

Meanwhile,....reading on another thread I see that forum member "Big Zook" has a couple of MT Cadets.. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=39636.0   I wonder if their bracketry is the same.??....and if a photo could be procurred.??

philskin

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15 »

Meanwhile,....reading on another thread I see that forum member "Big Zook" has a couple of MT Cadets.. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=39636.0   I wonder if their bracketry is the same.??....and if a photo could be procurred.??

thanks for the link dorri dont know how i missed that ,ive sent zook a pm hopefully may get a clue soon
 ive been looking at that wear line and lined the guard up against it and the bottom bolt hole on the engine pic would line up in the lug was still there ,so i might just have to weld an L piece on the top of the bracket to line up with the  bolt above  things is looking up

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:18 by philskin »

philskin

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2009, 13:36 »
ALL will be revealed tonite when the wife brings the camera back 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

philskin

book arrived this morning and confirmed what i had been feeling ,it was the wrong belt guide . So a little bit of my non engineering skills were called for and seeing as it was the wrong guide i had nothing to lose , so out came the grinder and drill i worked out were it needed to be and started drilling a hole to line it up with the bolt . Took the bolt out and found this now to be to short ,so found a length of threaded bar and re threaded it to suit using tap and die set . then wound the bar tight into the engine using 2 locked nuts and put a nut on it winding it up tight , this then left a stud sticking out to mount the guide on . Once the guide was on i could see how much of the guide i would have to remove ,marked it out and cut it off removing all the rough edges after.  Then in the one remaining lug left on the guide i put a nut and bolt to mount the front cover on to .

here you can see the piece i cut out and the stud i put in

the bolt to fasten cover to

the belt on and pinches it together quiet nicely

belt in working position just clearing the top and plenty on the bottom

cover on and well secured

just needs another coat of white paint on engine then a coat of laquer and finally the decals and bobs your auntie  didnt we do well ,on the hunt for my next rotavator now

ps the one other good thing about buying the parts guide was that it showed that this was the right way round for the guide and that the chap before was trying to put it on back to front and so had i because thats how i thought it was
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:57 by philskin »

xx
my freecycle joy

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 10:07
by jack russell
xx
just got this little fella from freecycle .

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 21:20
by Webby
xx
merry tiller from freecycle

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 07:49
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
MY Freecycle find advice needed please

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2007, 17:23
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 33 queries.