a bit of advice please

• 35 Replies

leeky

a bit of advice please
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 21:09 »
its a territory thing eating poop. I catch one of my two doing it sometimes and its been noshed almost before it hits the ground  :tongue2:

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 21:11 »
so instead of buying her bakers complete i will throw some cow muck in her bowl  :lol:
she has a taste for worms aswel :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

a bit of advice please
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 21:27 »
sorry leeky its a taste thing mate nothing to do with territory . cat dodo tastes better to dogs because it still contains a lot more residues .and dogs being wild will eat any substance that still smells of food . to stop them eating it you have option 1 . clean it up regular .option 2 put the hottest chilli powder in the tray . option 3 scrag the dog every time it goes near a cat tray . grab it by the collar and shake it roughly growling at it . also dogs will roll in fox dodo for exactly the same reason the wild nature in the dog is still there no matter how well we domesticate them
still alive /............

shaun

a bit of advice please
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 21:31 »
I always thought they rolled in fox cack to hide there own scent
there was this dead hedge hog on the field where i take her for her morning stroll and she went for this a few times and rolled in it  :shock:

leeky

a bit of advice please
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 21:58 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
sorry leeky its a taste thing mate nothing to do with territory . cat dodo tastes better to dogs because it still contains a lot more residues .and dogs being wild will eat any substance that still smells of food . to stop them eating it you have option 1 . clean it up regular .option 2 put the hottest chilli powder in the tray . option 3 scrag the dog every time it goes near a cat tray . grab it by the collar and shake it roughly growling at it . also dogs will roll in fox dodo for exactly the same reason the wild nature in the dog is still there no matter how well we domesticate them

sorry back  :lol:  i should have made meself clearer. one of my dogs eats the other dogs poop.  this is behaviour i believe that comes from when they eat up the poop to stop pedators seeking them out.

theres this too, but they certainly aint starved  :lol:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=106&A=1613&S=0

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 22:02 »
hi munty the poop was in the garden we dont have a tray so controling it is hard as the cat poops in the gravel then covers it up for the dog to find.

he ate some yesterday and has been very sick today is getting better now though

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Jonboy

Mountfield Estate rotovator I've got a broken one!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 23:43 »
Hi JR,
just wondering if you may be able to help with some advice & photos... I've just bought the same type of rotovator you own (mine is very rough)

Anyway - I have a wire running along side my carb that goes no where any ideas?

I need new belts do you know where I could get replacements - also could you possibly send me a pic of the Exhaust (and any other pics you think might be handy?)

I know this is a lot to ask - but it really would help me!!

Thanks - all the best

jack russell

a bit of advice please
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 00:39 »
Hi jonboy

I will take a look at mine tmw (Monday) for that wire and take a couple of pictures around the engine.  The one thing i noticed when i took the engine off the frame was a lot of other drill holes in the frame suggesting that the engine has been a replacement at some time in its life.  Can you post a pic or two of yours.

There was someone on here who could get belts not sure who but gwiz may be able to help.

How much did you pay for yours.

Jonboy

A bit of advice
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 01:58 »
JR - thanks for the reply!

Some photos or any advice you have will be great!
My Mountfield looks very similar to yours, the engine is very similar with the exception of the fuel tank on yours having a neck and mine does not... I will take some photos tomorrow - do I just paste them into the reply using the IMG button?

Mine is very rough and doesn't seem to have been used in a long time I paid £31 for it on eBay as spares or repairs, there are bits missing - exhaust for exaple and the pins to locate the tines.

Cheers

Gwiz

a bit of advice please
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 05:43 »
Jonboy, the wire you mention is the engine cut out wire. It runs from eithr the points or the coil ( depending on how old the engine is ), to a cut out switch that is little more than a small strip of brass and a tiny bit of plastic down by the throttle linkages. :D

Jonboy

a bit of advice please
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 20:49 »
Graham,

Thanks for that info, I thought there may be another bit missing.... it seems this is turning into more of a "spares" than "repairs" project, any idea how the stop switch works off that one wire? maybe I can rig it up for the time being?

Also - any ideas where I might get parts for the 4HP Estate model? I'm after belts an exhaust and now a stop switch.

Cheers
Jon

Gwiz

a bit of advice please
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 06:05 »
I should think you wouldn't be able to get original belts anymore, but there is a place a lot of people use on the Tinterweb:
http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/
These people do all sorts of belts and bearings, and it's well worth keeping their address in your favourites folder!
I should think that briggs and stratton made your engine, and getting bits for that shouldn't be too difficult. Do you have a lawnmower workshop in your area? they will be able to get you any briggs bits if you give them the model, type and code number for your engine. you'll find these stamped onto the engine cowling, normally up there near the spark plug.
The cut out switch I mentioned earlier, is operated by on of the moving links that is operated by the throttle cable. if you follow the cable down from the handles to where it ends, you should find the switch very close by. sometimes these where fitted with a switch up on the handles as well.

Jonboy

4hp Mountfield
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 00:30 »
JR,
Sorry not managed to post photos of my machine yet - but I have been watching one which is identical to mine (aside from the yellow paint) on eBay - though you may be interested to know it sold for £158!! here is the link -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300244134582&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

As an update on my "repair" I've stripped it down, cleaned points and plug and re-gapped plug, cleaned carb out and flushed the petrol tank, cut a new filter element oiled all the cables, repaired the choke venturi butterfly and rod (which had beed snapped!) located the stop swich, coated in so much white paint you could not identify it, and re-attached the stop wire...

I have good compression a great spark and clean carb... but no muffler / exhaust, so having bought one that does not fit I'm going to fabricate a manifold and weld it together tomorrow - unless someone knows where I can buy the correct one? and save me a day???

All the best
Jon

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
a bit of advice please
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 19:58 »
The instructions for the Mantis gear box which is a worm and gear drive like yours, says to use grease.

The reason that your side plate on the gearbox won't come off is probably due to a burr on the hole where the pin goes through the spindle. You should be able to remove it with a file, after all it went on once.

Jonboy

Briggs with VERY weak spark and VERY tired owner.....
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 01:40 »
ANY advice would be great! -  Is it easy to convert my Briggs and Stratton 4hp 100900 model Vertical crank side valve engine to electronic ignition....

Advice would really be greatfully received you can view my rotovator on eBay number 250270202872 if it would help? I have repaired many faults and had it running for 5 mins (and it ran well with no smoke or rattles!) but with intermittent spark/running then it gave up with no spark at all. With new points and condensor and plug it now sparks strong with loose flywheel but when flywheel is bolted down (tighten the starter clutch down) the spark goes too weak to ignite mixture - exactly as it was before the new parts.

I am lost for ideas other than electronic ignition,I have checked for earthing and replaced wire from coil to condensor and removed stop lead (no good - no difference). Replaced plug cap and now so frustrated with it I'm close to using a lump hammer to tune it!! - please help with any advice you can.

Otherwise there may be a reasonable source of spares available soon.... aside from electronics!!!!

Many thanks in advance
Jon

xx
Hoe Advice Please

Started by donald.cape on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2006, 18:14
by donald.cape
xx
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE

Started by beansticks on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 18:06
by beansticks
xx
New greenhouse - your advice please

Started by Suziet8 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 08:53
by mumofstig
xx
OK Advice wanted

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 19:59
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 32 queries.