Chuck coup

• 11 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Chuck coup
« on: July 07, 2009, 15:51 »
Has anyone got any or know where I can get some plans for a chuck house, gonna be putting about 4 birds in one, its been a long journey but got the go ahead now and will be clearing and building from Autumn onwards as soon as I can lift the redcurrent bushes.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chuck coup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 16:37 »
Aidy, have a look at this thread by poultryguise aka Rob:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.msg394174#msg394174
oh and welcome to the world of chicken keeping - build your coop big though as they are very very addictive  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 19:22 »
Hmmm, so you're planning four birds so you'd better build a coop big enough for at least sixteen birds in that case..... I planned 3 and have 10 plus 2 seven week chicks and some hatching eggs due any day now, oh and the ducks.... best laid plans  ::) :tongue2:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 13:45 »
Ta
Def 3-4 birds, they are going to be kept on the plot as the council have decided we can have them but have to abide by their rules, ie: 2sqft per bird not 1sqft as the link says as a min. I have an idea how it will be but want some idea of sizes for say nesting boxes etc.
Cheers
Again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 13:49 »
In their run it needs to be at least 2 sq yards/metres per bird (the minimum is 1 sq yd/mtr) for them to have enough ground to scratch and dustbathe  :D The nesting boxes do not need to be big as they like them cosy, dark and out of any chills.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 16:54 »
hi.... Glad the council are setting guidelines for chicken welfare/keeping :D
im just finishing off my chicken coop... will put photos up when im finished, but i got ALL my info from the experts on here :D

urban-chickens

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 17:26 »
Aidy i see you are doing a bike ride!

i am to in two weeks..... London-paris! god help me!

How long is your ride in miles?

FCG

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 19:50 »
Aidy how about a conversion of a shed to a coop and a bit of work space?

Also - welcome to the dark side.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:55 »
Aidy i see you are doing a bike ride!

i am to in two weeks..... London-paris! god help me!

How long is your ride in miles?
A poultry  :tongue2: 60 miles

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 14:34 »
We got a set of plans, but to be honest, haven't used them.  Best to have a look round at as many examples as you can, and then built what you want, as big as you want. Ours turned out a tad bigger than expected, but better that than too small.

Loads of information and advice on Poultry Pages.  Like Dizzy Lizzie, I got loads of advice and guidance from there.

Things we considered:-

To simplifying cleaning and avoid red mite.  Keep interior surfaces as smooth as possible.  We used marine ply. Built with as few internal joints as possible (posts on outside).  Seal all joints with polyurethan wood glue, so no crevices. 

Ventilation - we used corregated bitumen for roof (B&Q), and the corregulated gaps should provide the right sort of air flow at the right level.  Though need to fill gaps with with mesh so rats can't get in.

Access - hens need their own door.  We went mad and spluged on an automtic pop hole opener (horribly pricey).  Need good wide doors for your own access for cleaning - we recycled a couple of cupboard doors.  And access to nest boxes for egg collection - bit of ply with cut off of roofing felt.

Add perches, and the whole thing raised off the ground. A) so rats don't nest underneath, and B) so you don't have to bend to clean.

Trying to add a picture of ours (almost finished), but might not work, quite new to this.

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 17:35 »
We, too, have received permission from the allotment people to keep chickens, we are allowed up to 10.  Guidelines seem similar to the ones they produced.

I would love to see some photos of coops and runs people have built.  Being able to see the inside of the coop would also be really useful.

I am thinking of putting paving slabs around the outside rather than digging the wire into the ground to deter the foxes, kind of recreating a wire skirt that the Eglu has but with concrete.  Would this work ok?

Pics please everyone!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 10:29 »
First attempt at a nest box being modelled by Wilma.  We orignally made an internal plywood insert with 3 separate nest boxes, but it prooved to be awkward for cleaning, and drying out.  Everything needs to be sprayed with Poultry Guard roughly weekly, so got to think of the practicalities.  Have now replaced this with 3 plastic storage boxes, used by garages for spares, but ideal for the girls, and so much easier to clean.  At the moment 6 of them still won't perch and are sleeping in the boxes, so they do get really mucky.

Other pics show inside during construction.  Nothing to it really, just make sure the perch is long enough for the number of birds you want. And it's helpful if it can be made to be easily removed, again with cleaning in mind, and also checking for red mite.

In coop construction........always think 'cleaning'!

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 33 queries.