I'm getting new hens - what is the best way to introduce them?

• 3 Replies

parsleypig

I know that introduction of new hens is often discussed here and I have read a lot in the archive but I wondered if those who have 'been there, done that'  had any words of wisdom about what is the best way to introduce new hens.

To paint you a picture; I have three hens who I have had a year since POL.  I have a Bluebelle and a Speckeldy reserved for collection on Sat afternoon and might get one other.  We have a large coop and enclosed run about 5m x 3.5m  and they also have access to the whole garden or sometimes just the end part which is about 8m x 14m all under trees.

I had planned to keep the new girls in a cordoned off section of the run with a hutch for bedtime.  I thought that way they old girls can see the new girls and vice versa and get used to each other without physical contact!   I planned to remove the fencing and let them mix when I felt they were ready.  However, I have read that many people successfully introduce the new girls at bedtime straight into the coop and then just marshal their behaviour whilst they establish the pecking order. 

What is best?  Is there any advantage in keeping them separate or is this just delaying the pecking order process?

I just can't wait to get my new girls.  I will of course post pictures as I know it is the law :) :)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: I'm getting new hens - what is the best way to introduce them?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:43 »
I know that introduction of new hens is often discussed here and I have read a lot in the archive but I wondered if those who have 'been there, done that'  had any words of wisdom about what is the best way to introduce new hens.

To paint you a picture; I have three hens who I have had a year since POL.  I have a Bluebelle and a Speckeldy reserved for collection on Sat afternoon and might get one other.  We have a large coop and enclosed run about 5m x 3.5m  and they also have access to the whole garden or sometimes just the end part which is about 8m x 14m all under trees.

I had planned to keep the new girls in a cordoned off section of the run with a hutch for bedtime.  I thought that way they old girls can see the new girls and vice versa and get used to each other without physical contact!   I planned to remove the fencing and let them mix when I felt they were ready.  However, I have read that many people successfully introduce the new girls at bedtime straight into the coop and then just marshal their behaviour whilst they establish the pecking order. 

What is best?  Is there any advantage in keeping them separate or is this just delaying the pecking order process?

I just can't wait to get my new girls.  I will of course post pictures as I know it is the law :) :)

I've just put mine straight in the grass run with all the others and not had a problem. They all "go to bed" on the same perch from the first night, even though I put up an extra perch "just in case."

Hope this helps
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:53 »
well what ever happens you are certainly well prepared! Good luck! :D

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:51 »
when i got my two new girls, i waited until the others had gone to bed and it was really dark, opened up the hen house and popped the newbies on the perch in amongst the other two, in the morning let them out, i wont lie there was a bit of bullying going on but your doing the right thing in adding two.   I just let them get on with it and within a couple of days it settled right down,  when you get them on saturday, wait till its dark then pop them in and leave them too it (but obviously watch).   nickyx

xx
Top girl has died, how best to introduce new hens - advice please

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 20:00
by ghost61
xx
Can I introduce.....

Started by rudy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 18:29
by rudy
xx
When to introduce my little ones??

Started by Carla on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:12
by PhilDotte
xx
When to introduce chicks

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 21:28
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 39 queries.