When should I plant my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse?

• 8 Replies

Headgardener22

My tomatoes are sturdy little plants and are doing well in their pots in the greenhouse covered at night to keep them warmer.

The question is when should I plant them to their final place. In the past I have waited until the first flowers are showing, and sometimes until the first fruit has set, but I noticed in some threads that people appear from the photos to have planted them already.

What's the general opinion?

fatcat1955

I do not plant anything tender until June.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Can be a difficult balancing act, especially as for most people the 'final place' is somewhere where they can't be moved if an unusually cold spell threatens.

For what it's worth, I don't start them very early, so they are still in relatively small pots and will only be about 12-18" high in a week or so, and that's when I'll cross everything and transplant them into my home-made planters in the GH.

I suspect you will find many variations on the theme, and they probably all 'work,' although UK location will obviously have a bearing on timing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

m1ckz

mine have been in 2 weeks now an there doin fine..im in sunny essex lol

adri123

• Experienced Member
I'm in the Peak District and the first Toms are now 2 feet tall and have open flowers.  I think I had luck with the weather this year though and installing the heat sink barrels helped.

Next year I'll be starting them a couple of weeks later.

Adri

cadalot

Depending on the size some of mine are now in vending machine cups and larger ones are in plastic milk bottles and the larger ones are in 90x90 square pots, I like to move them up gradually potting deeper with each move so I get a nice root system 

barley

planted mine in today - weather looks ok for week ahead which will take us into mid may - going to keep fingers crossed that we won't get any more frosts after that  :nowink:

Headgardener22

So, the answer seems to be that we all do it differently and each way works!

Totty

The answer is, when it's warm enough wherever you live!

Totty

xx
Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 06:43
by mumofstig
xx
Unheated greenhouse.

Started by JaK on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 15:05
by JaK
xx
Can I sow in an unheated greenhouse ?

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 19:45
by hubballi
xx
toms in unheated greenhouse

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 11:29
by jrko

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.