Pot Spacing.

• 30 Replies

Lardman

Pot Spacing.
« on: May 03, 2015, 15:06 »
I've just put the pots in place at the 24" spacing I promised myself last year so as not to over crowd them and it looks so silly you could drive a bus between the plants.

Im tempted to squidge them up a little to 20" spacing and get another plant in. Straw poll - If you're growing in pots what spacing are you using.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Pot Spacing.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 16:16 »
I assume that's 24" between the centres of adjacent plants, rather than 24" between the rims of adjacent pots?

Also, what plants are you growing in them (if tomatoes, bush varieties need a lot more space than cordons, of course?)

Even so, I grow my toms in home-made planters, and the spacing is only about 15" between cordons, 2' between bush types - seems to work without too many problems as long as I'm careful about ventilation, not wetting leaves when watering, etc.

Never tried to grow straw polls so can't comment on spacing for them I'm afraid.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 16:59 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 16:25 »
5 plants down the side of an 8ft greenhouse, is what I do - whether in pots or in the ground.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 16:36 »
Yes - 24" centres, all cordon apart from the rio grande and I'll probably just run that as a double cordon.

I make that around 20" centres MoS, it's the ventilation thing which is bothering me - I seemed to be plagued with botrytis every year, no matter how careful I am.

Never tried to grow straw polls so can't comment on spacing for them I'm afraid.  ::)

::)  :nowink: You have to pack those in as tight as possible.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 16:50 »
it's the ventilation thing which is bothering me - I seemed to be plagued with botrytis every year, no matter how careful I am.

It's weird, cos I use the same spacing in both greenhouses - I get botrytis in the polycarb but never in the glasshouse  :wacko:

The only difference (apart from the obvious) is the auto window in the glasshouse - perhaps I'm not quick enough to open the manual one in the morning  :unsure:

jrko

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 17:25 »
All plants in 12inch pots, 3inch between rims for toms and strict pruning of side shoots and manky leaves. 

Solar powered fans for air movement  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 20:33 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 21:48 »
Trying mine (Charlottes) in Morrisons flower buckets this year, 1 per bucket.  Easy to move around, and I'm going to try lifting the individual plants and taking a few pots from each.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 22:18 »
I found reducing the amount of water was the key to beating botrytis. I grew my toms on the ring culture system, so they stood on trays of gravel & I kept them too wet. Plus my new greenhouse has 2 x 3 opening lights each side plus 2 x louvres, so lots of ventilation as they all have automatic openers on them. Mine is 8ft x 10 FT  so I have 2 trays each side of the path softly with 3/4 flower buckets in each tray & usually  12 trays in total with a couple of cucumbers along the end
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:16 »
Sungold and Gardener's Delight all go in 10" pots,four to a tray, so that's 14 along one long wall. We also have long trays along the same wall, but on the outside.

Seems to work, and have always done this layout!

(In this pic, the far end had trays going acrossways, for Mrs Growster's chilli peps)!

I also tucked a few more toms in on the far left, and while they grew well, they were a bit cramped, and when the cucumbers got a bit aggressive, I had to use a machete to get in - and out!

DSCN7991.JPG

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 21:21 »
That's shockingly tidy in there Mr Growster  :ohmy: 

By the looks and sounds of things you're all cramming things in much closer than I am  :wacko: so what gives with the botrytis every year?

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 21:23 »
That's shockingly tidy in there Mr Growster  :ohmy: 

By the looks and sounds of things you're all cramming things in much closer than I am  :wacko: so what gives with the botrytis every year?

Too much water  :(

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 21:40 »
Too much water  :(

I could understand me overwatering the pots in the bottom GH but the beds in the top GH are usually dust dry and keeping things watered is a problem.

I have 2 windows and a vent in the bottom GH but I do wonder about forcing some air movement with a fan as I have to keep the door closed because of cats.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 21:58 »
Make a mesh screen to keep them out

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 21:58 »
Leave the door open and put wire mesh or netting across to stop the cats  ;)

I also remove the top glass triangle at the end of mine  :)

snap snowdrops!

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:49 »
So far, we've never had any botrytis, but humidity is a must in any greenhouse, so we just water the trays, and occasionally syringe the toms!

It was a bit crammed-in last year, and we'll do more planting on 'The Patch', as we still feel that soil-grown toms are tastier than greenhouse ones!

We've now got two auto-vents and anyway, we can open the door at any time if necessary!

xx
Tom Spacing?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 09:22
by devonbarmygardener
xx
spacing advice please

Started by safetrade on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:05
by sunshineband
xx
Tomato spacing

Started by Urbanite on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 22:46
by Odders
xx
Tomato Spacing in Greenhouse Border

Started by Markjp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 19:08
by Kristen

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.