cats and chooks, harmonious??

• 10 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
cats and chooks, harmonious??
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:33 »
Im getting a cat, a big handsome fella. I have noticed the presence of more and more rodents here and dont want to poison them as we have nesting buzzards nearby and a few owls. Anyone got cats with their chooks? Mine are all large girls and chase my Schnauzer away, wondered if the cat would stalk them? try eat them ? :blink: any advice would be GREAT. Happy Wednesday everyone. x
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: cats and chooks, harmonious??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:00 »
I have two cats.  My chickens and my cats tend to ignore each other.  I only have to be careful when I have chicks, as they can prove to be too tempting.

Beano

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:15 »
If our cat gets anywhere near our chickens, they shout at him which sends him scuttling off.
Not that he stalks them the poor thing. They are the bosses and he will avoid them when they are both out in the garden at the same time.
El.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17 »
I agree, after a peck or 2 on the nose, the cat will leave the chooks alone!  Ours did! lol

Mind you, you did say it was a 'big' cat, so as long as its not a tiger or something you should be okay!   :lol: ;)

Raven81

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:25 »
Both of our cats are hunters but neither of them have bothered the chickens, like others have said the chickens are in charge and chase the cats (and the rottweiler), the neighbours cat only comes in the garden when they are shut away in the run too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:31 by Raven81 »
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

zarazara

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:18 »
Both my cats are good hunters. My chooks have the upper hand though  ;). The cats dont stand a chance.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:51 »
great response folks! :D  :tongue2: Now I can stop worrying and start getting excited about Merlin coming to stay!
I agree, after a peck or 2 on the nose, the cat will leave the chooks alone!  Ours did! lol

Mind you, you did say it was a 'big' cat, so as long as its not a tiger or something you should be okay!   :lol: ;)

haha! he's a big cat, definately not a Tiger :tongue2: lol. just a beefcake and also a hunter. Glad to hear similar blood thirsty moggies dtill dont bother with the big girls :)

evie2

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 18:08 »
Our ginger is a natural born hunter and from a kitten he's been quite happy to drag living or dead, not much smaller than himself animals through the cat flap.  So when we had the chicks last year we were a bit concerned but we needn't have worried, he knows a chicken peck hurts.  Even now he leaves the tiny Dutch bantams and Lavender Sabelpoots alone even though they, the poots, look very much like his favourite prey, collard doves >:( and since he was bitten by the rabbit, he steers clear of them too :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 19:36 »
We have four cats three of which are good hunters only one has tried it with the chickens and didn't succeed! Since then we have a very angry Sussex bantam that chases he cats

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 20:51 »
My chickens ignore/ tolerate my cat but will chase and peck at any other cat that comes into the garden.

xx
chooks and cats?

Started by stompy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 07:57
by stompy
xx
are cats a potential problem if chooks left to free range?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 10:27
by rosie14
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Cats

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 14:15
by raeburg

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 30 queries.