poorly chicken

• 6 Replies

lynsnow

poorly chicken
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:27 »
Hi my sister has a chicken one of a group she bought in november.  One is very poorly she noticed it has loose droppings and is hunched up, it is still eating.  What could it be? They were all wormed before she brought them home.

Edited punctuation for clarity - moderator
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:44 by Casey76 »

Casey76

Re: poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48 »
Unfortunately it could be many things, as a hen will hunch up and puff out her feathers if she is feeling off colour for any reason.

If you (or your sister) and answer the following questions, we might be able to give a better idea :)

1) check under her wing (and compare to a "normal" chicken) does she feel warmer or cooler (or the same).
2) are her eyes bright and clear?
3) does she sound wheezy or rattley at all when she breathes?
4) is she in lay - when did she last lay an egg?

lynsnow

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 13:32 »
Unfotunatley the poor thing passed away this morning. my sister wondered if it was worms but i suppose we will never know now. thank you anyway .

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 14:24 »
Very sorry to to hear that your sister's hen died  :(. It is possible that she had worms.

I worm mine approx every 3 to 4 months. If she got the hens in November it may be worth your sister worming the rest of the hens again to be sure. The recommended product is Flubenvet.
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 14:26 »
Sorry she didn't make it.  Best to worm new stock with flubenvet even if you are told they have been wormed it won't harm them.  Then you know they have been done and what with and when they will next be due.

I have 2 new girls in quarantine that I am treating so I am treating my other 6 girls at the same time even though they are not due for about another month.  It makes it easier if they are all done at the same time.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

lynsnow

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 18:26 »
Yes thats what my sister has done she is a bit worried that she has mixed the wormer up and coated the feed in it but instead of using cod liver oil she has used olive oil will that be ok do you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 22:55 »
I have used sunflower oil before and my hens were fine.  Think olive oil should be fine and it would have only been in a small amount.

xx
Chicken poorly?????

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 18:21
by chooksbury
question
Poorly chicken

Started by Winterbourn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 22:41
by iwantanallotment
xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls
xx
Very Poorly Chicken

Started by bogwoppitinatree on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 12:11
by avalonbirds

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.