Advice on a very Shy hen Please

• 24 Replies

Colernehens

Re: Advice on a very Shy hen Please
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20 »
Thanks, I'll get my husband to do that, hopefully she hasn't got that, but I will check it out.

I use Battles Poultry drink in their water everyday (they also have a large bucket drinker with just plain water) - is that a good tonic, or is there a better one I could try?

I have just watched her and Bluebell, (our blue orpington) have a wonderful dust bath but she is now resting, where as Bluebell is still going mad in her dust bath.

I'm not giving up hope yet, there are signs that she is settling down, just need to see a bit of a bigger improvement in her energy level to feel a bit more at ease that she is ok.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Helenaj

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 15:31 »
Battles is fine. It could be that she's just stressed out. If she is a bit younger than the others it's a big thing moving to a new home. Can you imagine being made to move house against your will and then having to fight with your neighbours for food and water - I doubt whether we would cope as well as a chicken!
If she's dust bathing and grooming she sounds as if she might be okay and that it is just stress. Try and catch her first tonight so that she doesn't get too stressed with all the other birds trying to evade capture first. Better still, wait until they are on the roost and pick her out then. You'll find them much more amenable and relaxed as they almost shut down when sleeping.

Colernehens

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 09:13 »
Well I think things might be improving. Although Dusty still won't feed at the feeder if anyone else is there, she doesn't run and hide in the bush straight away after being let out. She is staying out in the open more and yesterday afternoon, we took out a small corn treat and for the first time since we got her she came running for the corn  :D

She does seem to be eating far more than she has done in the past (although still not enough I think) and this morning after they were let out I stood by the run for about 10 minutes watching them all, and she stayed too.

I have noticed that she seem to like picking up all the food the others spill on the ground, so I am going to put a few layers pellets on the ground each morning as she does appear to like to forage.

We are still keeping a very close eye on her, but I am hoping that all these small things are a good sign.  ???

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 09:32 »
That does sound very positive, Colernehens.  I bet in a few weeks you'll find she's as friendly as anyone.  :)

As she's the bottom of the pecking order she probably has to eat all her food by foraging around.  The other chickens probably don't let her near the feeder, so she either has to wait until they have finished or peck food off the ground (not too close to the others).  Scattering some extra food for her, away from the other chickens, is probably a good idea.

Colernehens

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 14:17 »
Well Dusty is making great progress. We managed to give her a good check over, and dust her for mites.

Having been able to look at her very close up we are now pretty sure is much younger than the other 3, all of whom have now started laying (the 3rd one started yesterday) - Dusty still looks way off laying yet, so we think at least 4-6 weeks younger, but we might be wrong.

She is eating more, much calmer and spending alot more of her day out and about round the other Hens and does not rush off like road runner every time we appear.
She still is reluctant to eat if the others at the feeders, but she is making progress with that too.

We will continue to keep a close eye on her, but all in all I think it looks good. :D

evie2

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 18:19 »
That's good news, it just takes some longer than others :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

bantam novice

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 19:23 »
Good News  :D

You never know; she may grow bigger than the other hens eventually and make her way up the pecking order!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Beano

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22 »
Oh I'm so glad that she's perking up  that I was wrong to worry you.
El.

Colernehens

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18 »
Hi Beano,

You were probably in fact right, Dusty died on Friday of last week, having seemed fine until the Wednesday when she return to her old self. We took her too the vet on Thursday, but they could find nothing obviously wrong, and she had no other symptoms other than the sleeping and lack of eating.

It has been a hard lesson, especially for my 9 year old son who was holding her when she died, but at least we now know to look very carefully when buying.

The remaining 3 new girls all seem to be fine, but we are keeping an extra special eye on all our girls at the moment. I feel a bit like a new mum again.

Beano

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 13:20 »
I'm so sorry to hear your news and especially for your son.
If it makes you feel any better a similar thing happened to me. One of two new pullets was the same as yours and I had taken her to the vet several times and the poor little thing had to have various anti-biotics but to no avail. I had kept the breeder informed of her lack of progress and when we had to have her put down he gave us another. The vets were honestly at a loss but I tend to agree with the breeder, that occasionally you get a weak chick/pullet. So I dont think there was any more you could have done to have a different outcome.
Enjoy the remaining three. All the best, Beano.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Hen run advice?

Started by Hengist on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 22:30
by poultrygeist
xx
advice please

Started by darren the gardener on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:48
by Tony H
smiley
Advice

Started by country_bumpkin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 03:12
by tamnwill

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 28 queries.