whats wrong with tomatoes?

• 3 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
whats wrong with tomatoes?
« on: April 18, 2013, 16:55 »
Hi all, sorry no pic but I have some tomato seedlings I grew from seed, which really don't look happy. I potted them up last weekend into bigger pots and since then, although the weather has warmed up and I've put them in the greenhouse during the day, they have kind of drooped. I also bought a few from a garden centre and they also don't look great so its not an issue with the compost. I guess I may have over/under watered but seems unlikely as I've grown tomatoes for a few years and I've never had any problems. All I can think of, which would apply to both mine and the garden centre ones is that due to the general lack of sunshine and cool weather this year they are just struggling to get going.

Any thoughts? Guess its too late to sow more...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: whats wrong with tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 17:12 »
Hard to tell without a pic and without knowing where you live (hint for your location to be added to your profile!) but it's possible it's just too hot in the greenhouse given the milder weather and bursts of sunshine some of us have been getting this week. Obviously neither over nor underwatering are helpful either.

A spell back in the more even temperatures of the house might help them, but even if they don't recover it's not too late to sow some more now.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:12 »
Thanks, yes its possible. I assumed they'd be craving some warmth and sunshine but maybe too much in the last week

Thanks for the tip and I've updated my profile now

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:19 »
Possibly the temperature is the problem I think its just a tad to early yet most garden centres work on the premise the first plants will not  prosper and so will make a profit on the second lot . so I would sow a new batch now they will catch up and be better plants
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
whats wrong with that ??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 14:09
by hamstergbert
xx
Whats wrong with my taters ?

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 20:59
by New shoot
xx
Whats wrong with my Toms????

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 20:02
by Lee G
xx
whats wrong with my pumpkin

Started by mollski on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 22:06
by mollski

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 29 queries.