"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

snowdrops

Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2019, 07:19 »
St Patrick’s day hubby spied the first clump of frogspawn & it’s grown progressively over the week, and from how much croaking I’ve heard over the last 2 nights there’s more to come. So pleased as our pond was rejigged last year from our old fish pond that had sprung a leak the year before. So we made it smaller so I could have a bog garden, irs quite formal looking & needs an edge or two finishing but I’m so happy with it(I never did want fish, but the ‘children’ bought me some for our old house & pond)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2019, 20:47 »
I saw this Peacock butterfly resting on our waste filter mound today. The soil is open, scattered with wood chips and was sown with a "dry roof flowering mix" last year so there were plenty of daisies open.

It rested a good ten minutes with its wings closed and when I approached, it flicked them open a few times as a warning so I managed to get this picture.
Peacock.jpg

Amylowson

« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2019, 10:21 »
The most exciting thing i have seen so far at my allotment are pigeons..... :D

jezza

« Reply #498 on: April 19, 2019, 20:21 »
hello spring is officially here I have seen the first Brimstone butterfiy jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #499 on: April 19, 2019, 21:22 »
Frogspawn doing well in the pond. Saw butterflies at the allotment today, a lovely little blue one, don’t know types

DanielCoffey

« Reply #500 on: April 29, 2019, 15:11 »
Since Aidy was talking about Mason Bees earlier, here is a shot of mine exploring their new box of tubes. It only took them three days to find it and they have already moved in!
MasonBee03.jpg

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #501 on: April 29, 2019, 17:25 »
I have inherited a dilapidated home built greenhouse on my plot, I had stored some stuff in it over winter and decided to have a tidy. I lifted a plastic box and underneath was a sleeping hedgehog. How chuffed was I! I am 57 and that's only the third I have ever seen! I quickly put the box back and retreated, that job will have to wait for another day.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #502 on: May 12, 2019, 21:56 »
Does anyone recognise this insect? It was on the bee house, but didn't look like a bee. It didn't go in any of the holes. It is not the best photo but it only landed briefly. Incredible colours

PS look at the little face peering out from the tunnel to the right of this insect... the bee pulled back inside when the other one landed. It is a Mason Bee, a bright yellow one, not a red one, and not a leaf cutter either 9Both of these are using the tubes though)
P1220889 - Copy (2).JPG
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DanielCoffey

« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2019, 07:08 »
It looks like a Ruby-tailed Wasp. They are pretty uncommon and also called Cuckoo Wasps.

They are parasitic on Mason Bee nests and lay their eggs inside an uncapped cell. Let's just say next Spring only one will emerge!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50 »
It looks like a Ruby-tailed Wasp. They are pretty uncommon and also called Cuckoo Wasps.

They are parasitic on Mason Bee nests and lay their eggs inside an uncapped cell. Let's just say next Spring only one will emerge!

Thank you Daniel!! I have never ever seen one before so I am glad you were able to ID it for me... no wonder that mason bee was waiting inside its nest, presumably to repel boarders  :ohmy:

8doubles

« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58 »

Thank you Daniel!! I have never ever seen one before so I am glad you were able to ID it for me... no wonder that mason bee was waiting inside its nest, presumably to repel boarders  :ohmy:
Having put up a nest box hoping to help the bees does one squish the wasp to improve their chances more or
let the wasp wreak havoc !
I know what a wooly minded Chris Packham would do* !

* make wasp squishing a crime !

DanielCoffey

« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2019, 15:22 »
I would leave them all be (no pun intended) and make sure the Mason Bees have plenty of pollen producing flowers and a choice of nest sites. That way next year you will get the colourful wasps AND plenty of Mason Bees.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2019, 23:04 »
I would leave them all be (no pun intended) and make sure the Mason Bees have plenty of pollen producing flowers and a choice of nest sites. That way next year you will get the colourful wasps AND plenty of Mason Bees.

Preeesizelly!! I even put a further box up near the existing one and hope the bees spot it, as the one being used is almost full... I haven ver had such swarms of bees nesting in holes before, and this is before the leaf cutters join the throng!!
And I saw the Ruby Tailed Was again today, lurking around the side of the box waiting for bees to fly away, but the bees spotted her and buzzed her off alright. Pretty though. Squishing her is quite unnecessary.

Here is a pic I found, for anyone who wants a closer look
Ruby-tailed wasp, Chrysis species 2860 (2).jpg

8doubles

« Reply #508 on: May 15, 2019, 18:03 »

Preeesizelly!! I even put a further box up near the existing one and hope the bees spot it, as the one being used is almost full... I haven ver had such swarms of bees nesting in holes before, and this is before the leaf cutters join the throng!!
And I saw the Ruby Tailed Was again today, lurking around the side of the box waiting for bees to fly away, but the bees spotted her and buzzed her off alright. Pretty though. Squishing her is quite unnecessary.

Here is a pic I found, for anyone who wants a closer look
I do hope you are right and you are not helping form a Ruby Wasp hotspot to the detriment of the bees .
When man interferes with such stuff it quite often does not go to plan .
Only time will tell ! ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #509 on: May 16, 2019, 13:45 »
No, given the dozens and dozens of bees there, I reckon they will be OK  :D :D

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 54 queries.