Bottling/canning

• 10 Replies

snowdrops

Bottling/canning
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:33 »
Can some one please talk me through bottling/canning in words of 1 syllable please. I’ve got a glut of tomatoes, going away a week on Monday, no room in the freezer. I’ve read on here & other places but there’s so much conflicting advice.
Can I reuse jam jars etc
Do I just need new lids or can I reuse the ones that came with the jar.
Do I need kilner type jars etc
Do I cook the tomatoes & sieve out the seeds & skins
Make a tomato & garlic/onion/chilli sauce or just do tomatoes on their own to be added to the aforementioned when using.
How do I actually bottle the  jars .
I know there’s a risk of botulism if not done correctly so do I need to add salt,vinegar,sugar?
Please be gentle with me & tell me from start to finish how you do it
Many thanks 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅
I’ve got more than that in the conservatory ripening & more to come from the plot 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bottling/canning
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:15 »
You can use old jam/pasta sauce jars as long as they have no rusty marks or damaged edges (this stops them sealing properly) I prefer to use the ones that have the pop up button in the lid which goes flat if the jar has sealed properly. I also have some proper Kilner jars for larger quantities.

My method for bottling  passata is here,
Passata time of year again! in Cooking, Storing and Preserving - Page 1 of 2
You can just bottle chopped and cooked tomatoes if you prefer them. 
You can add a some garlic, or a few herbs, but personally I don't add onions or other veg as I was taught that it lowers the acidity required for safe preservation.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:32 »
Thanks mum that sounds much less daunting, I’ll put bottled lemon juice on the shopping list for this afternoon,then maybe have a go tomorrow, I’ve got 2 jam pans now so could have both of those on the go

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 13:14 »
I've had to resort to bottling, or canning as they call it in America, as a couple of years ago I ran out of space in my freezers. Yes, freezers, plural - two chest and one upright, so I didn't dare suggest to my husband that perhaps we needed another!
It does sound very daunting when you read up on it, but once you've done it you'll find it quite straightforward.  We are still using bottled pears from last year plus loads of ratatouille, apple pie filling and pasta sauces.  Raspberries aren't worth doing because they produce to much juice you end up with a half a jar of juice with a few raspberries floating in it.
As long as you are careful with hygiene, you shouldn't have any problems.  I was really worried about botulinum poisoning, but my daughter in law lived in America for a while, and said that cases of this are very few and far between, and just to ensure that jars and tops are sterilised, and that there is a good seal made after bottling.
I do use purpose made jars with a separate seal and ring, but only because I was frightened of not using the right thing and having them explode in the pressure cooker.
Have a go, you'll enjoy gazing at all the wonderful jars of food that you have stored for the winter.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 20:51 »
Right first ever attempt at bottling my home made passata is nearly complete. Tomatoes roasted,blitzed & sieved. Went in the fridge overnight as I ran out of time, jars put the dishwasher cycle, then into the oven to hear & sterilse, passata reheated & poured into hot jars, lids boile for 15 minutes to sterile, dried & put on jars. Preserving pan meanwhile was slowly heating cold water, jars added with tightened lids losses by a 1/4 of a turn, into the pan, brought to boil & simmered with foil lid for 35 minutes .
Do I leave to cool in the water or take out, it’s a bit difficult to get them out.
;one to self use same size jars next time as some were covered by the water🙄

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 21:20 »
I tighten lids fully before putting in the water, and take the jars out while they're still hot. I push the frying pan thingy underneath to lift them a bit, then grab the top wearing my oven glove. I leave them to cool and pop down on a cooling rack.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 21:33 »
Thanks Mum, I’ve managed to get them out, tightened the lids & I can here them popping from here in front of the tv 😊

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 22:35 »
Woo hoo! :D

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 19:04 »
we have already made about 20 jars of tomato pasta sauce from our fresh tomatoes.

my Italian mother in law, boils the filled sterilised jars in 1/3 depth water then lets cool to seal.

personally, I prefer to fill red hot (sterilised) jars with red hot pasta sauce (requires gloves), and put the lid on immediately.  this always seals the jars perfectly.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 21:03 »
And as if by magic here they are
, and the passata in the pan reheating
Edit, sorry for the upside down, it only happens on this forum
CEBF2BB3-9127-4C63-BE38-DC5D91F39BBF.jpeg
66CD2C5A-D66D-4E5C-BE94-4CF2F392A8E5.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 21:04 by snowdrops »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24 »
They look great, Snowy and well done to you... there will be no stopping you now!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Canning in UK: Better/easier than bottling?

Started by NorthEastJoy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 19:28
by Trillium
question
Canning jars for Tomotoes (steam canning)

Started by seascape on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 09:38
by Patricia
xx
Canning

Started by niknik on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 11:40
by niknik
xx
Need to know more about canning

Started by Comfreypatch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 18:59
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 51 queries.