Butternut Squash - again

• 13 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Butternut Squash - again
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:31 »
Morning campers..

Have any of your BNS started producing fruit yet? none of my 8 plants have any sign of fruit again. Beginning to wonder why I bother with them after zero fruit last year. The plants are very healthy and the soil is well manured but nooooo fruit :(

Bombers

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:32 »
Nope nothing yet...
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

compostqueen

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:38 »
these are my Achilles heel and I can never get a decent crop despite lavishing them with tlc  :roll:   I love them too so get right stroppy when I end up with a sum total of two fruits as last year  :evil:

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:46 »
I have 5 plants.  Only one of them has had any open flowers, both male but I did see a female flower the other day on one plant.

I will be chuffing depressed if I get nothing from these babies!

What do I need to do to make sure that my one fruit is pollinated???????????????????????

compostqueen

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:48 »
oh so glad to hear a "chuffin"  :D

You from oop t'north then?

Veg growing is often thoroughly disappointing. Can't think why we keep doing it  :D

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:18 »
I am actually from the midlands cq, but I have a friend who uses the phrase 'chuffin' quite often and I guess it rubs off!

Here's me calculating the number of fruit I could have to my H last night -I guess I will be eating mainly pumpkin then.

I do have a pumpkin about 2 1/2" across, I am hoping this has been polinated and doesn't suddenly drop off!

compostqueen

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26 »
I have just two little toddy fruits one me Potimarron. That's the sum total of fruit thus far on about 15 plants of various types  :roll:   Oh well I have expectations  :D  If I don't get any Crown Princes I'll be much miffed  :evil:

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34 »
My hundredweight has three

My halloween (becky) has at least three one of which is bigger than a tennis ball already

My butternut squashes... one has three fruits about 3 inches long

one turks turban

nothing yet on harlequin and crown princes but good growth and flowers present.....
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30 »
First time growing butternut squash. Planted 4, one succumbed to slugs soon after transplanting to the lottie. Of the other three I wasn't hopeful about one as it had a damaged stem, but thats the one thats suddenly gone mad and had two or three tiny baby squashes on it, the other two look as if they are now the focus of the slugs attention, so will have to dot a few pellets around.

Do I just leave the squash to it, or do I need to nip out any ends of growth now etc?

Porffor

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 13:57 »
Mine is only just starting to expand in leaves.. no sign of flowers yet at all. Fingers x'd I get something for my effort! lol

Big Jen

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 14:09 »
Had quite a few butternuts on my 4 plants but they get to about 2 inches then drop off?
I have absolutely loads of Spaghetti squashes and have eaten a couple already- lovely.
These have been treated exactly the same as the butternuts so dont know what the problem is.
Posted a pic of the spaghetti squash a couple of wks ago, here it is again for those that didnt see it.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

kezlou

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 22:05 »
Neither nor me BNS or pumpkins have any flowers so far, lets hope the sun shines on them.  :?
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

gobs

Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 22:26 »
Quote from: "Big Jen"
Had quite a few butternuts on my 4 plants but they get to about 2 inches then drop off?
I have absolutely loads of Spaghetti squashes and have eaten a couple already- lovely.
These have been treated exactly the same as the butternuts so dont know what the problem is.
Posted a pic of the spaghetti squash a couple of wks ago, here it is again for those that didnt see it.

BJ

What a large phone you have Jen. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Butternut Squash - again
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 13:33 »
I have a couple of plants starting to take off at the base of my corn and beans. Not flowering yet though. The pumpkins are flowering up a storm... does that mean they might fruit soon?

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
question
Butternut squash

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 00:35
by viettaclark
xx
Still no Butternut Squash

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 21:57
by Paul Plots
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Martyg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 09:23
by surbie100

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 35 queries.