Dangling cabbage ? what a flop !!!

• 18 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Dangling cabbage ? what a flop !!!
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:02 »
Hi guys and girls
was worried the girls might be getting bored so yesterday I went down the Market and bought a cabbage and a ball of string ( you can see where this is going  ::) ) anyhow after a bit of clever threading and scout style knot tying I dangled said cabbage From the washing line expecting the girls to go mad and to devour the thing in seconds .
 What acually followed was me sitting there like a right pillok in full view of the neighbours cutting bits off a dangling cabbage and trying to convince them it wasn't scary . well after an hour I gave it to the guinea pigs.  I just couldn't belive it they will normally scoff anything . 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Springlands

Re: Dangling cabbage ? what a flop !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:15 »
You probably did not give them long enough to get used to this new idea.  :) If you try again just leave them to it and they will soon be scoffing the cabbage.

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:07 »
I know this sounds daft but was it a hard cabbage or a leafy one. Mine started with leafy ones as they did not know to peck it. They just grabbed and ran. Now they love a good tight cabbage and will peck at it.

Hope this helps :D

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:13 »
They are wary of anything new, just in case it might eat chicken.
Even a strange food dish will be avoided till they decide it is harmless.
Hens often take a while to get 'into' some foodstuff, mine took 6 months to get a taste for cabbage leaves.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:52 »
Our layers will devour a dangling cabbage in seconds!  But there is quite a lot of them!  lol

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14 »
I will try again today I have another cabbage I was so sure they would love it I bought 2.
I will just leave it an see what happens but even when I chopped bits off they don't eat them!! they are fussy little things I have however had better results this morning with a granny smith hoping to get them used to the new dangling food experience 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:02 »
That's chickens for you  ::)  Mine were terrified of dangling cabbage as well but will fall on cabbage like ravening beasties if it is chucked into the run  :lol: 

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 21:14 »
The only thing mine are happy for me to chuck into their run is corn and worms. Anything else has to be shown to them  :blink: then they peck at it while i'm trying to tie it up around the run. Well that or undo my laces  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 21:16 »
I use a skewer through the heart of the cabbage and tie it to the run fencing.  They fight over it like mad.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 21:26 »
I tie Kale leaves at different heights around the run. If its not tied tightly enough they dont eat it, just pull it out and find the next. When they find they cant pull it free they devour it. They have also learnt that when i am turning over the borders or beds, treats are on the way in the form of worms and slugs and 'nag me' until i have stood up  ;)

jaws

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 22:56 »
My hens love the outer leaves of a cauliflower - I carfully insert the knife to remove the curd then pierce the middle of the stem to inserrt the string to tie it up. They shred it down to just the white stem and tough ends of the leave - and the dog loves that - so nothing wasted - and it was only the left over bit of the cauli
Jaws

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 23:44 »
Hi guys and girls
was worried the girls might be getting bored so yesterday I went down the Market and bought a cabbage and a ball of string ( you can see where this is going  ::) ) anyhow after a bit of clever threading and scout style knot tying I dangled said cabbage From the washing line expecting the girls to go mad and to devour the thing in seconds .
 What acually followed was me sitting there like a right pillok in full view of the neighbours cutting bits off a dangling cabbage and trying to convince them it wasn't scary . well after an hour I gave it to the guinea pigs.  I just couldn't belive it they will normally scoff anything . 

I love this image!   :lol:  All the neighbours' curtains twitching, you sitting under the clothes line having tied a cabbage to it, trying to talk your chickens into trying it.   :lol:  Those chickens really do have a great sense of humour don't they?  At least they're not bored any more.   ;)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 18:39 »
And the neighbours aren't bored, either!
ManicMum

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08 »
I hung our cabbage in the run for the first time.  One hen was brave enough to peck at it and then it was a free for all.  I tried the same as you last summer and because it was outside in the garden, they wanted nothing to do with it.  Gave it a wide birth and clucked suspiciously!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

evie2

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 19:58 »
I asked Ali to hang up some nice dark green cabbage leaves for the poots and bantams, 15minutes and a lot of noise from Ali later, I looked out to see he had hung them up like a washing line ::) not really what I wanted but the girls loved it :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Cabbage thief

Started by Beano on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 16:02
by Paul Plots
xx
potato peelings and cabbage,

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 19:23
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.