Culling

• 33 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Culling
« on: September 15, 2010, 22:22 »
On the off-chance that I can't give my 8 cockerels away (posted on swap page) then I'm left with no alternative but to despatch them for the pot. They're only 3 months old, really healthy although a little skinny as they free range - for the time being, so I realise that I need to keep them for about another 2-3 months. I've only ever culled one bird, a poorly one and that was a horrible experience as it took a couple of attempts. No way will I subject one of my birds to that ever again, so I'm trying to find someone close to me in the Worcs area who can do this. Anyone any suggestions please - although I really hope that I can find homes for them as 8 males and 4 females do not mix well.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Culling
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 23:11 »
Shame you re too far for my Brian to do the deed for you Tazzy!  Hope you find homes for them all!!!

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57 »
Could you not sell them at auction, thats what I do with my excess cockerals.

I can't kill them if I am not going to eat them and I breed silkies, so it is the only way :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 18:09 »
Auctioning was not something that I was aware of - how would I go about that - I wouldn't know where to start  ???

Spana

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 20:12 »
Please dont do that, not with just cockerels. You never know what may happen to them .

Spana

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 21:12 »
not worth auctioning them,  they will only sell for about 20p each and someone will just eat them or give them to their ferrets,

Or much worse :(

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 22:57 »
Thanks for the advice folks, really hope I can home them out, will avoid auctions then, if they go in anyone's pot, will make sure it's mine, at least I'll know they've had a good life.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:25 »
Yes, do them yourself if you feel confident to do it or try and find someone to do it for you or take them to.  Wait while they're done and bring them home.  You then know you can cope with any others you may have.
Its a hard life if you're a spare cockerel :(

rachelr

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:15 »
I have been on a site recently that advertised humane killing lessons. I know this sounds daft but thats one of the things we get upset about. To do the deed without undue stress to the animals. The cost was only £15 but they did not do a course near me or I would have booked on. 

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 16:14 »
I think that is such an important point RR!  I have also looked about on t'interweb and can only find a course in Hants - do the Moderators think this is a topic that could be followed up in any way?  Don't know what the limits of this forum are but more info or a list of such course providers or somesuch would be sooo useful......

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 17:33 »
I seem to remember this being discussed on the hen house when someone organised a course up by Derby, but that was a little too far for me. I think they had a professional come in to demonstrate and then guide everyone through "the deed".  I'm struggling to find anyone close to me (Worcs), but the 8 males are starting to upset the 4 girls, so I'm afraid there will be little choice  :(

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 21:17 »
If you have a good butcher, have you thought about asking them?
I live in the country and our butcher breeds and dispatches his own turkeys so he would know when the time comes. Worth a try to ask him or a local gamekeeper..... sorry that's the country bumpkin in me.  :lol:
Alan

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:29 »
I don't have a problem killing other peoples birds or birds I don't know but I don't think I could breed birds for the pot I'd get to attched. one day I might toughen up  ;)
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 09:53 »
Thanks, will try our local butcher as I'm also part yokel  ;). Things are getting very agitated in the run though, and with nowhere else to separate the cockerels, I'm getting concerned for the laying girls. Afraid that the boys may well have to go this week  :(  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 09:57 »
Rachel, you live close to me and grannie so if you are unsure then bring a bird over and we can show you - Brian has his stunner and a wall dispatcher and I have a wall dispatcher, a broom handle and an axe. Personally after having used the wall dispatcher three times recently I would opt for this method. They are not expensive (I got mine from Ascot) and do a quick clean job.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.