red top fly trap finally started working!!

• 26 Replies

jhub

• jane
Re: red top fly trap finally started working!!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 19:34 »
No, trust me on this- I have a 40 year nursing experience and the smell turned my stomach. As for the appearance, I draped a piece of cloth around it so I couldn't see the death throes and then the maggots. I had to empty it at night as I didn't want to see the contents, nevertheless it was very effective but don't think I want another one in my small garden.

wildwitchy

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 22:53 »
No, trust me on this- I have a 40 year nursing experience and the smell turned my stomach. As for the appearance, I draped a piece of cloth around it so I couldn't see the death throes and then the maggots. I had to empty it at night as I didn't want to see the contents, nevertheless it was very effective but don't think I want another one in my small garden.

hmm, i think ill it a miss then.  :lol: I hate maggotts, even though i buy them for the girls to eat. I'll wait untill I get a bigger place I think to use one.

NormandyMary

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 15:33 »
Our red top has been up over a week now and I keep expecting to get the stench but I can still walk past it and smell nothing. It has loads of flies in it, but we still seem to be inundated in the house, so much so, Ive bought an electric zapper one off ebay today! Im really hoping it will start doing something over the next day or so.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 15:41 »
Last year I had 2 electic zappers and they did very little - the flies would land on the outside of them and just walk around as if they were enjoying the warmth that it gave off  :mad:
Give your red top a few more weeks - it can take several for it to get full strength, they really do need time to mature. My one closest to the house now seems to be losing its power so I have started another one off today.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mutemonster

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 15:51 »
had mine up about 2 weeks quarter full.i think they have to be up for a while to break the cycle as
they mainly attract female fly  as for emptying it might just bin it when its done.
shame they dont do a black plastic one so dont have to see the carnage

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 18:58 »
Ours has been up now for 3- 4 weeks and can assue you it will smell  - untill it did I didn't know what all the fuss was about !!! :wub:  but itdoes now it'so awful , so much so don't think I will get another - not looking forward to getting rid either !
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 05:39 »
mime is starting to get very very nasty what's the best way to get rid with out spilling the liquid death fly soup ? I don't want that stuff in my dustbin
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

jhub

• jane
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 06:34 »
I used a garden knife to make a slit near the top of the bag and emptied it down the sewer drain (at night so I couldn't see the contents, with gloves and nose covered with scarf) double wrapped empty bag before putting it in dustbin.
JAne

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01 »
I used a garden knife to make a slit near the top of the bag and emptied it down the sewer drain (at night so I couldn't see the contents, with gloves and nose covered with scarf) double wrapped empty bag before putting it in dustbin.
JAne

So it's SOEP now!  What happens when this gets to the tip?
HF
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:52 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

wildwitchy

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 23:21 »
I spray essential oils (peppermint/citronella) around the coop when i poo pick which keeps the flys down. That smells pleasant. I usually hang 3 fly paper strips up in the coop & some outside which catches quite alot.

8doubles

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 11:17 »
I spray essential oils (peppermint/citronella) around the coop when i poo pick which keeps the flys down. That smells pleasant. I usually hang 3 fly paper strips up in the coop & some outside which catches quite alot.

Beware of fly papers near birds, they mean death to small birds trying to pick the the flies off and make a right mess of chicken feathers or cat fur as someone on the forum found out recently.

NormandyMary

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 20:59 »

Beware of fly papers near birds, they mean death to small birds trying to pick the the flies off and make a right mess of chicken feathers or cat fur as someone on the forum found out recently.
I too have had nasty experiences with hanging fly papers in the choo house. Ive lost many a clump of hair. I dont bother now!

xx
Finally

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 17:17
by chuckmad
xx
Finally !

Started by nickiit2003 on Chicken Chat

24 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 16:47
by nickiit2003
xx
Finally...

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 21:51
by fd01
xx
Yeah Finally an egg

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 07:55
by nerdle

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 35 queries.