How many eggs do you eat per week ?

• 18 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
How many eggs do you eat per week ?
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:21 »
I have 3 chooks that give me 21 eggs per week and there is only two of us so that's 10.5 eggs each per week but realisticly 15 for me and 6 for the missus. I read once that 6 is maximum in a week then somewhere else that you can have as many as you want. I don't want togive them away anymore because there isn't enough extra to keep all the familyhappy so have decided not to give any away.  does anyone else who isn't over weight eat that many or is it excessive it's only 2 a day doesn't sound much to me
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: How many eggs do you eat per week ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:37 »
The 6 a week thing came about because of the chloresterol content of eggs, but I've read since it's a load of old hokum.  Like all 'good/bad' food debates, if you feel the pounds sneaking on, eat less and move more.  As long as you're watching your fat intake from other sources, I'm sure you'll live  ;)

My dad has eaten a couple of eggs, a rasher of bacon and toast for breakfast every day for years and he's in his eighties, still very active and not overweight at all  :)   

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:39 »
We get around 63 eggs per week. There are plenty to sell and plenty left to eat. We usually have 1-2 eggs a day and sell the rest  :).
All lives are precious.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 13:16 »
I usually eat 2 per day so that's on average 14 per week. Some one else tried to warn me about the whole chloresterol thing the other day - I'd not heard it before. However, since going on my egg diet I seem to have lost weight so for me that balances the fear of raised chloresterol a bit...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 13:39 »
Brian and I love eggs, so we eat loads!  Especially as we have a glut at the moment.  We will eat 2 each for either breakfast or lunch at least 4/5 times a week, plus I've started making some cakes to use a few more up, but some of the cakes are going in the freezer for leaner times, not all on our waistlines!

And Pennydog gets the occasional egg as she loves them too!  So I can get through 2 dozen a week easily!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16 »
hi stupid question but what's a glut?  :wub:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:23 »
–noun

1. a full supply.
2. an excessive supply or amount; surfeit.
3. an act of glutting or the state of being glutted.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Junie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:08 »
We get about 6 eggs per day, for  3 of us full time and my husband her half of the time.  Before the fox attacks we had 13 chooks, as  I had taken in some chickens from a friend that was moving - that was too many eggs - Any visitors were force fed omlettes!!
If I get a glut then it's omlettes, quiche, or a fantastic tarte au citron on Delias site - 6 eggs used! 
We probably eat about 10 eggs per week, the dog has the odd treat and the chickens relish scrambled eggs. My mum had high cholesterol, which is now under control, the doctor told her that eggs were fine if they were not fried. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 13:32 »
–noun

1. a full supply.
2. an excessive supply or amount; surfeit.
3. an act of glutting or the state of being glutted.

Very comprehensive DD, but I just prefer to say a glut is....... TOO MANY!!!  :D

What I want to know is, why do people buy less eggs in the summer?  don't they have them with salads anymore, or make cakes?  We are down to selling about 5 dozen a week at the moment, but we are getting around 14 dozen, so with Brian me and the dog eating around 2 dozen, it still leaves me with about 7 dozen spare!

I had a nice baking afternoon mid week, and I was saving some small cakes to put buttercream on for a treat this afternoon, but somebody and his dog ate half of them without telling me!!!   >:( >:(

greenun

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 13:59 »
We would eat one egg a month , we have about 15 chooks and seven roosters.
I don't know why we bother. Sigh....

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 15:05 »
I used to have 1 every day for breakfast but since they've been in demand I'm lucky to have 1 a week! I had to buy 12 off helen from up the road yesterday so i can make a cake!!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 15:35 »
I eat one or maybe two a day at the moment as they are a "free food" on sw diet!

I get 4 a day from the ducks and 1 from the chickens as the other chooks are oaps who may lay an occassional softie but are well into their menopause now! I do have another 4 female ducks who should come into lay next spring, so will have more to sell and eat then  :D

From the extras I sell about a dozen a week and also give next door six a week as he has to put up with the noise they make  ;) ;)

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04 »
Have 3 girls & for the last week have been getting 3 eggs.
One of them laid everyother day, but has started laying each day now.

We have eggs with our salads which it about twice a week - Omlets about once a week & i have boiled eggs through the week if i feel peckish in the evening.

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 18:40 »
I get between 6 and 12 eggs a day. I only eat maybe an egg a week myself, though I do occasionally have a 3 egg omelette. Like Cara, i give my spares to neighbours who put up with the noise, and sell some to colleagues at work. I just put a 'donation' pot with the eggs in the staffroom.

jamima

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 22:34 »
I have 3 hens get 21 eggs a week, i have 2 poached on toast twice a week,hubby has egg sandwiches twice a week,i make  quiches and any spare i sell or give to my next door neighbour for looking after everything when we away or chris across the road as he also helps out.

xx
a good week!

Started by tesni on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 12:47
by joyfull
xx
First fox this week. eeeekkk

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 14:35
by LittleRedHen
xx
advice on 7 week old chicks please

Started by seanandde on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 10:35
by Casey76
xx
First Week of Laying and a HUGE egg!!

Started by Gerty333 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 08:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.