not fridge
15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Keeping eggs in the Fridge of not??

• 41 Replies

Elcie

Re: Keeping eggs in the Fridge of not??
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 22:02 »
Don't want them in the fridge, want them displayed so everyone can admire them! :D

Keep mine in a rack on the kitchen work top.  Never had any problems.

I'm with you Flowerpot.  I treated myself to an egg skelter last year and I love it.  It is in the kitchen and I have my different coloured eggs  on display.  It is like an ornament that we can eat!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 22:14 »

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 23:13 »
if your hens run with a cock their eggs should be kept in a fridge.

Don't be silly Joy, cocks don't lay eggs!
HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 23:28 »
This is a perenial question much discussed on previous threads.  The official Food Standards advice is keep them in the fridge and I always do.  Aunt Sally probably has said it all really except to say the motivation to keep them at room temperature is that some people think they taste better.  Though in blind tasting this has not been shown to be the case.  

I'm not sure the cock issue is relevant unless the temperature you keep them in is approaching the body temperature of a hens body about 37.5deg C.  I wouldn't expect that they will start to develop at temperatures below 30degC though I don't know what the threshold actually is.

Bacteria growth is the key issue and the lower temp the better though preventing condensation is a consideration.

The other thing you should not do is wash the eggs before storage as this removes the bloom and can wash bacteria through the pores in the shell.

HF
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 19:34 by hillfooter »

Pretty Chick

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 07:23 »
if your hens run with a cock their eggs should be kept in a fridge.

Don't be silly Joy, cocks don't lay eggs!
HF

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All lives are precious.

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 11:19 »
you are not supposed to put anything warm into a fridge as it raises the fridge temperature allowing bacteria to grow  :(

Well this is an interesting sciencey question so lets look at it a bit more closely.   It's certainly true that putting anything in a fridge which is warmer than the ambient temperature will not only cool it but also cause the temperature of the fridge to rise slightly until the cooling regulation of the fridge can extract the added heat.  However it is also certainly true that when a butterfly lands on Tower Bridge the bridge bends through by an infinitesimally small amount.  Likewise putting an egg in a fridge the effect will be very small and generally the temperature rise effect will be dependant on several factors, off the top of my head these will be.

Specific thermal capacity of the 'hot' object X It's weight (or more properly mass) X it's temperature
The thermal capacity of the fridge and it's contents (as above, Specific Thermal Capacity X mass X temperature)
The sensitivity of the controlling temperature regulator and the fridges cooling capacity.

These are just first order variables which effect the problem and a more accurate transient analysis would need to consider the cooling effiency the airflow and how the fridge was packed the position of the egg in the fridge and it relationship to food which might be effected by raised temperature and so on and so on.  But just taking a very simple steady state case based on thermal energy.  A new laid egg lifted from under a chicken and taken to a fridge will be around say 35degC maximum and weigh 65grams the fridge ambient temperature will be around 5degC and basing the mass of it's contents on my fridge one third full of food with the same thermal capacity of an egg (ie a third full of eggs.  I know this isn't real world but as an illustration), I calculate a steady state rise in temperature of 0.012 degC.  So you would need to add a lot of eggs at hen body temperature to raise the temperature by a measurable amount let alone a significant amount. 

This is a simple calculation however which doesn't include the thermal capacity of the walls of the fridge and it's cooling efficiency (ie ability to extract heat via it's cooling mechanism) both of which would further reduce the rise.  However it doesn't include the local transient effects which will cause adjacent food to rise in temperature to a greater extent whilst the heat is conducted and convected away.  To estimate a very simple absolute maximaum effect of this this imagine that the egg is  completely surrounded by other eggs at fridge temperature and the heat lost from hot egg is first 'shared' by conduction with the adjacent 28 eggs (for arguments sake) they would have a temperature gradient across them, however again taking a simple steady state case and discounting heat lost from the surrounding eggs, they would rise in temperature by about 0.8degC.  This is a gross simplification and a real case would be much lower than this and wouldn't last long before the heat spread and the temperature fell again.

The worst effect of putting a warm egg in the fridge is the effect of losing a volume of cold air when the door is opened which will be replaced by warm air at room temperature.  Using my fridge as the model and the case above, when I open the door 2/3rds of it's volume of cold air literally tumbles out and I calculate this to be 406 grams of air at 5degC.  This is replaced by 320grams of air at 25degC (same volume but less dense).  Air has roughly half the specific heat (heat capacity) as water (an egg) so this is approx equivalent to me putting 160grams of eggs (2.4eggs) at room temperature in or 1.6 eggs at the 35degC hen body temperature in the fridge.

Are you following all this??????

If not the bottom line is the effect of adding new laid warm eggs from a chicken is negligible and a single egg will cause a temp rise of far less than a tenth of a degree C.  Effectively putting 1 doz warm eggs in my example fridge is has the same effect as adding 1and a half dozen room temperature eggs.  Just opening the door will have about the same effect as adding two warm eggs so if you put in the ambient temp eggs but wait for the warm ones to cool first thus opening the door twice you'd better have three or more eggs at 35degC before that might show any theoretical benefit in the slightest.

Well I hope that clears it up??

Now for the urban myth about hot water freezing quicker than cold water..........hey hey come back... you've all logged off!!!

HF

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23 »
Good grief HF  :ohmy:

It's going to take me a week to read all that post.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28 »
Sorry HF, but I'm not going to bother reading all that.  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:29 »
Nope.  Didn't manage to read it all.

But to precis it for you:

Putting fresh warm eggs into a cold fridge will make almost no difference to the temperature of the fridge over that caused by opening the door.

scabs

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30 »
Gotcha!  ;) ::) :D

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34 »
Good grief HF  :ohmy:

It's going to take me a week to read all that post.

I can recommend a good speed reading course?  In any case the world cup will be running for some weeks yet so it'll help to wile away the time for you. :wacko:

Anyway Scabs you shouldn't be reading posts with all the football to watch! :nowink:
HF

scabs

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 12:01 »
Hadn't kicked off yet.  ;)

Now shhh... it's on.  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 12:16 »
I think i'll give this one a miss, its too much for your average blonde earth lover  :dry:

hillfooter

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 12:22 »
Hadn't kicked off yet.  ;)

Now shhh... it's on.  :lol:

Thanks for reminding me!  

Just one HOT tip though, opening the fridge door 6 times to get to that 6 pack is roughly equivalent to adding half a dozen freshly laid warm eggs to it so to cancel out the effect ensure you add one warm egg at the same time as you get a beer during the match and you can ignore the science! :wub:

HF

scabs

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 12:56 »
I wish I was having a beer... I'm at work.  :(

I'll make up for it tonight.

Anyway, this thread is straying into 'World Cup Forum' territory and Aunty might put us both on the norty step...

xx
hen keeping

Started by looe-looe-belle on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:58
by Aidy
xx
Hen keeping - Day 1!

Started by SimonS on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2013, 16:37
by pepsi100
xx
Hello everyone! New to hen keeping!!

Started by Caramelle on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 12:13
by brick22
xx
My least favourite hen keeping job has to be ................

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:43
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 35 queries.