cut flowers

• 61 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cut flowers
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 11:38 »
It may not effect spacing, but it would certainly alter sowing times, were you ever to ask advice............
We don't ask to be nosey, just so that we can give advice tailored to your area..........it just seems such a simple request.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44 »
I'm on my 2nd year on a plot. I would like to have a small portion for flowers to cut for the home. Has anyone suggestions as to what sort are easy to grow and provide colour for the house.

actually the thread was about cut flowers not just sunflowers - see the quote above.
I tried growing sunflowers this year here in Lincolnshire and they died   :(
Peterborough and Bedfordshire are famous for bricks (Peterborough had the largest hole left over from clay being removed for bricks by The London Brick Company) so are you near there?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 12:11 »
It'd be so useful to know - gives an idea of growing conditions in particular areas and general

I'm in in the middle of English wet clay soil, not far from brickfields, but just how that affects the spacing of sunflowers I'm at a complete loss, because that was what I was posting about.

I'd say that's near Southampton ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 12:29 »
so warmer and dryer than my area then. Oh well I will try again next year as the chickens love sunflower seeds  :D

Crusty

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 14:23 »
It may not effect spacing, but it would certainly alter sowing times, were you ever to ask advice............
We don't ask to be nosey, just so that we can give advice tailored to your area..........it just seems such a simple request.

But I was the one giving a tip, not asking advice.

And for a "simple request", for so many people to be so interested it seems a lot of  fuss about it to me.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 19:02 »
... for so many people to be so interested it seems a lot of  fuss about it to me.

We are a friendly lot here Crusty,  not standoffish at all - how about you ?

Crusty

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 19:24 »
... for so many people to be so interested it seems a lot of  fuss about it to me.

We are a friendly lot here Crusty,  not standoffish at all - how about you ?

Don't seem that way to me anymore - I posted a tip and I'm getting ganged up upon. If I was to meet a few peeps in the street, and after offering to help them, they virtually demanded to know where I lived I'd be 'phoning 999.

P.S. My daughter very aptly describes my plot as "Muddle Earth" - if you disagree then perhaps you can come up with a better description.

Just what all this has got to do with cut flowers, again complete escapes me.

so warmer and dryer than my area then. Oh well I will try again next year as the chickens love sunflower seeds  :D

Again, I was posting about cut flowers, the subject of this thread, not seed production!

Please, Please get this thread back to topic!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 19:53 by Crusty »

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 20:08 »
Wallflowers are wonderful and make lovely cut flowers but it depends very much upon the climatic area in which you live as to how soon they come into flower.

Quite early for me and the scent is wonderful.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Crusty

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 20:13 »
I tried growing sunflowers this year here in Lincolnshire and they died   Peterborough and Bedfordshire are famous for bricks (Peterborough had the largest hole left over from clay being removed for bricks by The London Brick Company) so are you near there?

Yes, if you're having problems sowing directley into clay soil, then do as I do and pant into cell trays at the same time as doing that with peas - so you will have two sowings and stagger bloom production.

Sow your sunflower seeds in cell trays as advised above, starting in warmth, then transferring to a coldframe before planting out at the same time you would sweet peas.

Plant then deep - up to the first set of false leaves.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 20:31 by Crusty »

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 20:16 »
I tried growing sunflowers this year here in Lincolnshire and they died   Peterborough and Bedfordshire are famous for bricks (Peterborough had the largest hole left over from clay being removed for bricks by The London Brick Company) so are you near there?

Yes, if you're having problems sowing directley into clay soil, then do as I do and pant into cell trays at the same time as doing that with peas - so you will have two sowings and stagger bloom production.

Sow your sunflower seeds in cell trays as advised above, starting in warmth, then transferring to a coldframe before planting out at the same time you would sweet peas.

At what time of the year would you hope to plant outside?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 20:18 »
I tried growing sunflowers this year here in Lincolnshire and they died   Peterborough and Bedfordshire are famous for bricks (Peterborough had the largest hole left over from clay being removed for bricks by The London Brick Company) so are you near there?

Please, please get this thread back on the topic of cut flowers. :tongue2:
Cheese makes everything better.

Crusty

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 20:30 »

It's probably slightly variable, as I sow my first lot of sunflowers at the same time as first early peas in my greenhouse, then move to coldframes after germination, and plant out at the same time as sweet peas.

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 20:34 »

It's probably slightly variable, as I sow my first lot of sunflowers at the same time as first early peas in my greenhouse, then move to coldframes after germination, and plant out at the same time as sweet peas.

When? March?

Some people have been known to plant sweet peas out to over winter so this is very variable - perhaps something to do with the general area in which you live?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 20:36 by Learner »

Thrift

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 09:57 »
Crusty, I think you are very wise to be so circumspect!  8)

You have obviously realised that Aunty, joyfull and mum are indeed secret agents. They are working for the big chief of planet Plotopia and are busy rounding up garden enthusiasts ( especially sunflower growers) who will be of use to them in their new project. These unsuspecting growers are abducted at nightfall.  ::) ::)

They are put to work to grow their extraordinary vegetable forces. There are incredible ( and inedible) artichokes with extraordinary wind powers which, when operational, will be used to change the weather patterns, air currants ( sorry currents) and tides on Earth.

This is only the beginning ...... you will have noticed the decline in bee numbers. You may draw your own conclusions  ;) As for the big chief ...... I think his name is Tode!! He has disappeared of late  ;)

Sorry ..... cut flowers? I love those lovely purple artichokes  :D :D

tode

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 11:34 »
No, I'm not, Thrift:  I'm here, just behind Auntie.     :D

And could you pass the bottle round, if it's not empty  ;)

Best flowers for for a cheerful, perfumed bouquet  =  Sweet Williams. (and they reseed themselves).

xx
Cut Flowers?

Started by violet on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:02
by violet
xx
cut flowers

Started by floydfan1 on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 21:48
by Yorkie
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 22:40
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Cut Flowers

Started by bluelou on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 10:42
by tallulah

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 35 queries.