What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?

• 69 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 16:08 »
My PSB is a real mess but I can't decide if the local wood pigeons may have contributed to that, time will tell. Kale is small but strong looking. Leeks didn't really grow much. The biggest surprise is that a lot of mediterranean stuff looks great...lavendar, cistus, rosemary, bottlebrush is ok. The olive looks better than it ever has! And I'm already picking parsley and chives. Our Viburnum has been wonderful this year, best it's been in six years, flowered since October and is smothered in strongly fragrant flowers still!

Thrift

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 17:05 »
You've done really well Tosca. You must be way ahead of us ..... not even a blade of grass growing yet !

No longer the Emerald Isle; it looks more like Africa ( without the heat )  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 16:44 »
My beautiful red cordyline bit the dust this winter...usually it can take any frost, so it didnt occur to me to take it in or protect it.  :( :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DavidT

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 18:09 »
I cut my poor banana down today, I`m hopeful there is still some life in the rootball though. Peapod lots of mature Cordylines have failed in this area, some of them 7 or 8 feet tall.

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 18:19 »
I'm not sure about the results of the Big Freeze yet although there are a few plants not looking so spring like yet - I'll need to wait and see...

But I am not best pleased that my OH has buried a few under cat-litter during the colder weather :tongue2:

I tend not to fiddle with the borders (last attempt to plant in them ended up being shifted  ::) ) so it's the OH who will be wearing gloves come tidy-up-the-borders time  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :blink:

I'm sticking to my allotment and the "no cat-litter" method!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

AnnaM

• My dish
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 17:38 »
Even though I lost my jasmine, I do have some basil and bay leaves left but they are looking a bit worse for wear despite the improved weather. Any ideas on rescuing them before its too late?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:06 »
Looking at the foliage of my young Cordyline (only 2 foot high so no "trunk" to speak of) the last flicker of life seems to have been extinguished.  :(

Personally I think it's "had it" but I've heard that these plants sometimes can regrow from the base if the roots are still viable.

Anyone out there have any experience of this one way or the other?

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 13:08 »
My Passion flower (Passiflora caerulea) which I have grown from a seed years ago and which was covering the fence surrounding our backyard looks not very good  :(. I had to cut it down nearly to the ground because the stems looked brown and dead. Only just above the ground they still look green. I hope it will recover as I am really attached to this plant (planting the seed, seeing it germinating and growing bigger and bigger unites  ;))

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 14:43 »
It should recover if the roots are OK. My mum used to cut her's right down every year and was always worried it was the wrong thing, but it always came back.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 15:01 »
Oh thank you, this gives me hope  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 23:34 »
Looking at the foliage of my young Cordyline (only 2 foot high so no "trunk" to speak of) the last flicker of life seems to have been extinguished.  :(

Personally I think it's "had it" but I've heard that these plants sometimes can regrow from the base if the roots are still viable.

Anyone out there have any experience of this one way or the other?

Give it some time... we've tried killing off all sorts of similar shrubs / trees  ::) only to have them reappear from under-ground... A few years back a huge palm was blackened by the frost, centre dead so we cut it down... later had about four to tackle as they sprang up all over the place from the root.

gypsy

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 06:24 »
Not actually lost the spring cabbage but it looks very tough, my bay looks like it got too cold and may have died, as does the rosemary. I was surprised that the parsley next to the shrubby herbs has survived.
Catherine

madcat

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 14:58 »
Isn't that the strange way of things?  My bay needs feeding up but has come through okay, but the parsley is a sodden pulp, above and below ground.  (The pigeons got the cabbage.  :()
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 19:47 »
It should recover if the roots are OK. My mum used to cut her's right down every year and was always worried it was the wrong thing, but it always came back.

I was going to bin mine, but I remembered hearing this, so have cut it back to about  6 inches of trunk and keeping fingers crossed

Paul Plots

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 16:24 »
My PSB is not looking to happy... awaiting the purple sprouting bits still  :(

xx
Lose the lawn, keep the tree

Started by MalcW on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 14:35
by Goosegirl
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
clip
Plants for ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:58
by Goosegirl
xx
plants for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 23:52
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 33 queries.