I'm clueless...please help.

• 139 Replies

ruudwoods

I'm clueless...please help.
« on: September 12, 2013, 22:58 »
Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have just bought my first house but i'm absolutely useless in the garden and my garden is like a jungle, full of weeds and dry, dusty patches.

From a bit of initial reading i have discovered that September is an ideal time to sow a new lawn so i was hoping that someone could draw me up a brief dummies guide on the steps i should take to do this successfully in order for me to get some decent grass and little weeds next year.

Many Thanks

Tom

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm clueless...please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 23:02 »
Welcome to the site  :D

The main steps are:
- clear the area of all stones, weeds, lumps and bumps
- rake it level in two directions (at 90 degrees)
- firm earth down by gradually working across it, pressing down with heels
- rake again
- sow seed, again preferably in two different directions
- water in, and keep watered
- I tend to try to cover it against the birds but this is not always practical
- keep off it for as long as you can, and don't mow it until you absolutely have to as the roots are likely to be fragile.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ruudwoods

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 23:32 »
Welcome to the site  :D

The main steps are:
- clear the area of all stones, weeds, lumps and bumps
- rake it level in two directions (at 90 degrees)
- firm earth down by gradually working across it, pressing down with heels
- rake again
- sow seed, again preferably in two different directions
- water in, and keep watered
- I tend to try to cover it against the birds but this is not always practical
- keep off it for as long as you can, and don't mow it until you absolutely have to as the roots are likely to be fragile.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I was wondering do i cut it, dig at it or apply roundup to it first? Just when you say rake it...you dont mean rake over weeds do you? My gardens probably around 80% thick weed with dry patches (dust stones).

My apologies if my questions seem stupid, ive never done any gardening in my life. First house and first garden  :D

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:15 »
Read  the reply and take it slow.....

Step 1 - clear the area of all stones, weeds, lumps and bumps  ::)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51 »
Welcome to the site Ruudwoods. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day and nor is a good lawn!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08 »
I was wondering do i cut it, dig at it or apply roundup to it first?

You could apply roundup to kill the weeds and leave till the foliage has died back - this should leave you with less deep digging to do, as you won't have to remove all the deep roots, cos they'll be dead.

Then you can gently fork over the top of the soil to loosen and level it, removing any surface roots that are in the way, as you rake over.

Then carry on as described above.

Good luck  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18 »
It takes a couple of days for the effects of the Roundup to show, so don't worry of it look like it isn't working.

If you collect up all the dead weeds and roots you could have a bonfire if you are allowed one in your area and get rid of them all. You could just rake the ash into the ground.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ruudwoods

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 16:27 »
I was wondering do i cut it, dig at it or apply roundup to it first?

You could apply roundup to kill the weeds and leave till the foliage has died back - this should leave you with less deep digging to do, as you won't have to remove all the deep roots, cos they'll be dead.

Then you can gently fork over the top of the soil to loosen and level it, removing any surface roots that are in the way, as you rake over.

Then carry on as described above.

Good luck  ;)

Thank You. This helps a bit.

I have no understanding of gardening at all so when i get told to remove weeds it doesnt mean much to me as i wouldnt know the most simple and effective way to go about it lol.

So i apply roundup and leave it say a week?

Then i go out and pick up dig up any dead weeds i can see? Then follow the steps above.

Do i need to test soil or turn it or anything? Apologies if that sounds stupid. Im just sure ive heard before that the soil can be bad.

Also where would i get roundup? I here theres a more concentrated version. Should i be using this?

ruudwoods

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 16:30 »
It takes a couple of days for the effects of the Roundup to show, so don't worry of it look like it isn't working.

If you collect up all the dead weeds and roots you could have a bonfire if you are allowed one in your area and get rid of them all. You could just rake the ash into the ground.

Thank You. How long do you suggest i should leave the roundup to work?

Also ive asked mumofstig a few questions above. If you have any input to those id appreciate it. :)

ruudwoods

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 16:31 »
Welcome to the site Ruudwoods. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day and nor is a good lawn!!

Thank you for the welcome :)

To be honest a bang average lawn will do me. Just anything that isnt covered in weeds will do the job for me lol.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 18:04 »
Glyphosate is the chemical involved in the weedkiller. Roundup is the best-known trade name but you can get others e.g. Resolva (this has a second chemical so you can see within 24 hours where you've missed bits ... ) or an unbranded version.

It comes in pre-mixed versions and in concentrated ones, as you say.  I'd always go for the concentrated one - it goes further and lasts longer (though more expensive up front).  The dilution rates will be on the packet for spray or watering on (use a dedicated watering can, perhaps of a red colour, so you don't reuse it for watering your prize roses next year by accident ...  :ohmy: )

Don't apply it in windy weather because of the risk of spraying other plants, and don't apply it if the weeds are wet or rain is forecast in the next 6 hours.

At this time of year the plants won't be growing that actively, so I'd leave the weedkiller to do its business for 10-14 days before starting to attack it if you can.  No need to test the soil.

I need to do this with my own lawn but the weather is currently defeating me ...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 22:09 »
Roundup can take 3 weeks to work properly ,especially this late in the season ! I will get told of for this but add a smidge of washing up liquid to your mix it sticks to the plant better then  :)
I cook therefore I grow

ruudwoods

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:57 »
Thank you all for the comments and advice.

I should add that my lawn is probably only in the region of 70m2 so i dont want to be spending too much on the weedkiller. I think i came across a roundup 128 liquid concentrate so i'll probably go for that one.

One other question i have - before applying the roundup. Should i go at it with a lawnmower to trim it down to a normal height first?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 13:35 »

I wouldn't do anything to the garden :ohmy:  I should concentrate on the house during the Autumn and Winter months and wait for spring to show you what plants you already have in there and may wish to keep. ;)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

ruudwoods

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 16:42 »

I wouldn't do anything to the garden :ohmy:  I should concentrate on the house during the Autumn and Winter months and wait for spring to show you what plants you already have in there and may wish to keep. ;)

Cheers,   Tony.

Hi Tony,

I don't really know. I just gathered from reading that September is an ideal time to do it and to tell you the truth i would rather look out at soil as opposed to a jungle for the next few months lol.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 32 queries.