I'm clueless...please help.

• 139 Replies

Sparkyrog

Re: I'm clueless...please help.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 16:46 »
Glyphosate is the chemical involved in the weedkiller. Roundup is the best-known trade name but you can get others e.g. Resolva (this has a second chemical so you can see within 24 hours where you've missed bits ... ) or an unbranded version.

It comes in pre-mixed versions and in concentrated ones, as you say.  I'd always go for the concentrated one - it goes further and lasts longer (though more expensive up front).  The dilution rates will be on the packet for spray or watering on (use a dedicated watering can, perhaps of a red colour, so you don't reuse it for watering your prize roses next year by accident ...  :ohmy: )

Don't apply it in windy weather because of the risk of spraying other plants, and don't apply it if the weeds are wet or rain is forecast in the next 6 hours.

At this time of year the plants won't be growing that actively, so I'd leave the weedkiller to do its business for 10-14 days before starting to attack it if you can.  No need to test the soil.

I need to do this with my own lawn but the weather is currently defeating me ...
While Yorkie is right ! I would also add don't let either premixed or concentrate get frosted ,if you do it won't work properly  :(
I cook therefore I grow

ruudwoods

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 17:40 »
I bought some roundup liquid concentrate today. Weather here is fair so i'll look to do this in the next day or two. Should i give the area a trim first?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 17:44 »
I bought some roundup liquid concentrate today. Weather here is fair so i'll look to do this in the next day or two. Should i give the area a trim first?
No you want the maximum leaf area  :)

ruudwoods

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 20:47 »
No you want the maximum leaf area  :)

No problem. Makes the job easier :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 21:11 »
In spring I would of said yes ! but not now   ;)

ruudwoods

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38 »
In spring I would of said yes ! but not now   ;)

Why is this? I dont really understand lol. Ive read to either do it now or in spring but. Positives negatives of each?

The reason i was thinking now is really just because its driving me nuts looking at it, plus i have the time now and may not have in spring.

If spring offers me huge advantages though then i'll hold off i guess

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 18:25 »
You can treat the lawn now, but just don't cut the grass before doing so is what sparkyrog was saying, I think.

In spring, the grass is starting to grow properly, so if you cut it you can let it regrow a little before treatment.  If you cut it now, not much will regrow because it's slowing down.  Thus you have less surface area left on the grass to absorb the weedkiller and kill it off.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 18:26 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 22:02 »
You are exactly right Yorkie  :)

ruudwoods

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 19:45 »
You can treat the lawn now, but just don't cut the grass before doing so is what sparkyrog was saying, I think.

In spring, the grass is starting to grow properly, so if you cut it you can let it regrow a little before treatment.  If you cut it now, not much will regrow because it's slowing down.  Thus you have less surface area left on the grass to absorb the weedkiller and kill it off.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much.

I will be out on Sunday for my first ever shot at a work in a garden :D

I'll no doubt be back here in 2-3 weeks posting more silly questions lol.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 21:16 »
as an addendum Protect your roundup from frost  :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 22:13 »

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much.

I will be out on Sunday for my first ever shot at a work in a garden :D

I'll no doubt be back here in 2-3 weeks posting more silly questions lol.
There is no such thing as a silly question in this game !We all have different levels of knowledge on different topics  :)

cadalot

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 06:48 »
The only "Silly Question" is one that isn't asked  :D

ruudwoods

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 18:40 »
Update.

Its two weeks now since i applied the roundup. I probably applied 2-3x the amount that it says on the bottle. Not intentionally, simply because im hopeless.

Anyway, what should i be seeing? the grass/weeds have yellowed slightly but doesnt look anywhere near dead yet. I take it the grass weeds should go brown?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 18:54 »
The yellowing shows it's starting to work, albeit only slowly.

Eventually they should go completely brown, yes, but I'm not sure how much longer it will take.

jezza

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 23:50 »
hi i would hire a good strimmer with heavy line 3mm knock every thing down reducing it to a 2"mulch its very satisfying seeing the results ,then rake off the top  if any regrowth and its mild spray with round up jezza

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 34 queries.