Any reviews on Nettex Poultry Anti Pecking Spray please?

• 15 Replies

Mum2mj

Hello, does anyone have any reviews on Nettex Poultry Anti Pecking Spray or recommend me a good one to use?
I took in 4 ex batts 2 weeks ago so they didn't come fully feathered, bless em -they are now getting feathers through but the one with the bare bum (called squidgybum by my almost 3yr old) gets them pulled out whenever they start poking through and was a bit blooming yesterday & feeling sorry for herself. 
Also I'm not sure when they were last wormed/de loused etc, although they seem fine, if someone could talk me through it I would be very grateful  :)

Many thanks!

Mrs Bee

Re: Any reviews on Nettex Poultry Anti Pecking Spray please?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 22:04 »
I tried anti peck spray but it didn't have any effect.
The lady I bought my hens from told me to use vicks vapour rub. That seemd to work. :)
And it was cheaper  ;)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29 »
Hi i tryed a few antipeck sprays but none of them had any affect on the chuck that was doing the damage, i found seperating her for a couple of weeks was the only thing that stoped her  :D
Chicken crazy

moomintroll

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 15:25 »
Hi mum2mj

I used nettex anti peck spray on 2 of my chickens and a rooster. You have to use this on a very airy day! We treated ours on a still day, and the cockerel was acting drunk!!! like having hallucinations  :ohmy:

We had to bath them all to get as much of the stink off as possible. I'm not saying I dont recommend it, but I didnt find it helped at all.
I tried mrs balls suggestion of vicks vaporub, and so far i havent seen them peck each other since  :D

I rubbed vaporub into my hands then stroked all the chickens, concentrating on problem areas.  I also seperated the main problem hen for a week, but that was when my greenhouse was empty for the winter. I know its not always possible to isolate them.
Hope you have some success soon

uktitan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 16:34 »
i use Vaseline, and mix a bit of Tea tree in it, Works Great...the Anti peck sprays ive tried dont seem to do much but make a mess.
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 18:21 »
Hello, many thanks for the replies, I'm not sure about vaporub as wouldn't that sting a bit if the area is sore?
I like the tea tree idea so may try that, I think though that I may have been getting confused with the purple spray I've been reading about and is it antibacterial?  The area is quite red so I'm assuming that could be aggravating the situation?

Many thanks again in advance!  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 19:29 »
Hello, many thanks for the replies, I'm not sure about vaporub as wouldn't that sting a bit if the area is sore?
I like the tea tree idea so may try that, I think though that I may have been getting confused with the purple spray I've been reading about and is it antibacterial?  The area is quite red so I'm assuming that could be aggravating the situation?

Many thanks again in advance!  :D

I think tea tree oil might be a bit stingy too. :(

moomintroll

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 20:16 »
Dont put the vaporub on red or broken skin, just the feathers around the areas. The purple spray is gentian violet and is an antiseptic and disguises the red areas. I use both. *Touch wood since stroking them vith vaporub, I havent seen feather pecking since  :)

uktitan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 20:38 »
i use Vasaline ( well Petrolium jelly actually) got a HUGE pot of it from the 99p store lol..

add some Tea tree Oil into a small pot( i use an old yogurt pot) add a few spoonfuls of Petrolium jelly, and Mix it all together well..

Then get your chuck and apply...The Other Chucks when they go to Peck your girl will get the Mix on their beak and wont like it and will rub it off on the ground

I use Tea tree because Some sources suggest it has antiviral,antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities, Plus it smells nice =)

Ive never had a problem using this stuff, been using it for Years now without Problem.

Mum2mj

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 08:54 »
Thanks everyone for your replies, Moomintroll, that's the spray I was thinking of, thankyou, I will start off with that then I think, and see how she goes and if they persist then use the stinky options as well! :blink: hehe

Mum2mj

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00 »
uktitan, you are right about teatree oil btw, in fact midwives now advise women to use it in the bath after childbirth to promote healing/prevent infection etc so I am sure it'd be good for use on chickens too and thanks for the tip to get cheap vasaline  :)

cywbach

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 13:22 »
Hi there, I've just had a traumatic morning with 4 seemingly near death hens after using NETTEX anti pecking spray.  Within 10 minutes of using the spray, all 4 hens had keeled over, were gasping for air, shaking and chattering, legs in the air and could not walk or right themselves.

After panicking, I brought the hens in one at a time and washed them, tried to encourage them to drink some water.  All of them were very lethargic and not interested in food or water.  One of them is able to stand up now but the rest are still drowsy.

The most the hens had was 3 sprays in the affected area, and one hen only had one shot of spray so I would be surprised if this was associated with an overdose.  In any case there is no warning on the label about mounts of liquid to be used. 

When I rang the company they suggested that it may have affected the chickens due to the heat.  However, this happened at 8am this morning in a shady garden, and although I don't rule out the heat as an exacerbating factor, there is no warning on the label regarding heat either.

So...be careful and in future I will only use natural products as you  have suggested above.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 13:49 »
i use Vasaline ( well Petrolium jelly actually) got a HUGE pot of it from the 99p store lol..

add some Tea tree Oil into a small pot( i use an old yogurt pot) add a few spoonfuls of Petrolium jelly, and Mix it all together well..

Then get your chuck and apply...The Other Chucks when they go to Peck your girl will get the Mix on their beak and wont like it and will rub it off on the ground

I use Tea tree because Some sources suggest it has antiviral,antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities, Plus it smells nice =)

Ive never had a problem using this stuff, been using it for Years now without Problem.

I've done this too, with the cheap petroleum jelly and tea tree oil.  I do't think it stings because the hens never seem to mind.  There is a small amount of oil to jelly, and I think it is the smell that stops them rather than the oil itself. 

The most effective stuff I've ever used is UKADEX, not easy to get, and stinks like pig poo, but it stops them from pecking usually!

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:08 »
Tea tree oil should be soothing. If you buy neat oil do not put it on neat though!  :blink: :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 14:28 »
I used Nettex once and agree that it really reeks!  I'm not surprised cwybach's hens were gasping for air!  :ohmy:

It wasn't bad pecking (ie no blood) but one of the hens was going a bit bald on her bum after the others were picking on her. I think it was the smell that kept them away - poor thing, you could smell her miles away and I only used a little bit!  I did buy pecking blocks and put all sorts of things out to distract them away from her so suspect it was a combination of things that did the trick rather than the spray itself.

xx
NETTEX anti pecking spray warning

Started by cywbach on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 18:47
by joyfull
xx
anti hen pecking spray

Started by westie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 17:06
by Lost in France
xx
Will using anti feather pecking spray put off my cockerel?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 14:02
by Helenaj
xx
Age for anti peck spray

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 20:22
by evie2

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.