Strawberries...

• 10 Replies

Porffor

Strawberries...
« on: August 30, 2008, 20:54 »
yes i know the time of year.. but i have a MILLION plants now.. lol no honestly runners have shot off runners so i have tonnes.

BUT.. my question is what do i do with them... i have a frame of a temp greenhouse but no cover - so could cover it and fleece it with the strawbs inside.. or plant them in the ground then fleece them directly... or I could put them in the shed.. at a push.

What do you all reckon?

and do they need watering etc over winter? or do they lie dormant?

mashauk

Strawberries...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 20:56 »
If they're already in a bed I'd leave them there, I've never fleeced mine but I guess it depends how cold it gets, mine are in tyres now so I may cover them if it gets really cold but they seem quite hardy.

gobs

Strawberries...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 21:18 »
They are dormant if you get a winter, hardly so in the UK, other than short periods, they are hardy at a guess down to  about -20C, so stop fussing about them. :D

Multiple off-sets won't make too strong plants, ideally, you want to save the first one only.

I just plant my new lot up in a bed outdoors this time of year. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Strawberries...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 21:28 »
I was going to start a new bed with my runners but am getting a second allotment early next year where I am putting all my fruit bushes, strawberries etc so should I just leave them where they are for now and not move them?   Also do you cut off the folliage off the parent plant or let it die back normally I always lose my strawberry plants in winter so wondering what others do.

Sorry for hyjacking your thread just seemed silly to start a new one on a similiar subject.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Strawberries...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 21:39 »
Chicken soup does your ground get waterlogged that's a killer to strawbs if so try growing them on ridges bit like potato ridges but not quite so high. If the crown gets water logged for a long while it's good night Vienna
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

Strawberries...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 21:55 »
If you know for sure that you are moving in the spring, Chicken, it might be beneficial to pot them up.

You can do either to the foliage, I doubt it makes a difference in respect of that you are losing them. there must be some other reason. :roll:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Strawberries...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 21:58 »
Traditionally remove the leaves off all strawberries and remove the leaves to a compost bin or just burn them, helps prevent the build up of pests.

Porffor

Strawberries...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 16:13 »
Thanks all for the advice, may well pop them in the ground as a bed is free for them :) Will remove the leaves too just in case. :) and cut off the 2nd runners. :)

Great tips all thanks!

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Strawberries...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 18:01 »
Thanks for the advice on what to do with my strawberry plants too.  :D I am acquiring a second plot at the allotment as it is so enjoyable hence wondering if its worth moving the new strawbs or leaving them next to their parents.  All of them will be moving come the spring, that is if they survive the winter.  The soil is very sandy so I doubt it will get waterlogged.  Do you think its the frost that gets them as they are quite exposed?  My strawberries at the moment are still giving me hundreds of berries and I am having to harvest them every day.  The wet conditions aren't really helping though as I have had a few mouldy ones.   :(

garddwr

Strawberries...
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 21:44 »
I would like to try raising strawberries from seed this year

Anyone done this ? Had results ?

When shoud I do it ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Strawberries...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 22:15 »
I did last year went ok here's a LINK to the review I did.

xx
Strawberries

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:38
by teflon
xx
Strawberries

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 21:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Strawberries

Started by Andy J on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:01
by gobs
xx
Looking after strawberries

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 11:29
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 39 queries.