how many toms per container

• 7 Replies

UrbanGrower

how many toms per container
« on: June 02, 2013, 19:11 »
Hi all

Hope everyone's plants have been enjoying the sun!

Gosh it seems like a hot topic when searching the net and lots of contradictory information.  I'm beginning to realise there is a bit of guess and chance work in gardening and growing veg, especially as everyone's conditions are slightly varied.

I'm planting out my toms this evening (only time I have) I have one of those tarp looking plant containers that is 70cm by 20cm, do you think that 2 tom plants per container bag is ok? I'm limited by space, containers and money. So i'm hoping you will all say yes and I can plant away with an easy conscious. I know its not ideal, but if its catastrophic I will have to think again. They look very healthy and strong with flowers coming out. I don't want to kill them at this point.

Any thoughts and advice always greatly received
Thanks!x

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: how many toms per container
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 19:19 »
I've had pretty good results in the past with similar size containers - these days I tend to buy growbags and empty them out into 3 or 4 largish pots - add some home made compost if needed to make up the weight - and give a nettle / chicken poop feed (and perhaps some tomorite if I'm feeling generous) on weekly basis. Other than last year (I'm blaming lack of sunshine) its worked pretty well for me.
Cheers
Balders

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 19:21 »
There is no magic number - you could probably put 10 plants in :lol: and they will all grow, sort of, but you wont get many tomatoes.   The best spacing to give the "best" number of tomatoes depends of the light and water and food you give them, and how you grow them.

Two in a 70cm x 20cm planter doesnt seem too tight.  I might even try 3 in a good location, but be prepared to be ruthless and pull one out later if it got too jungle like.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

UrbanGrower

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 19:28 »
hey Balders & Gremlin

That's good to hear. At the moment my flat is over crowded with tomato plants, so need to get them on the balcony as soon as( A seedling isn't just for Spring!) They are in tiny pots so think they love the space. I think i'll have to go down the old tomorite and miracle grow route (which i inherited). As I haven't the space for homemade fertilizer. Though a friend of mind is gonna get some chickens soon, so might bagzey their poo! Thanks for the confidence booster. 2 plants per container it is then- I'm a softy when it comes to pricking out and stuff. Sometimes I think you just need someone else to say you're not a complete and utter nincompoop when making planting decisions.

Thanks again and Baldy I hope your toms get the sun they deserve this year.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 19:35 »
Having now read the other thread about Monty's way of growing toms in a tiny amount of soil, which sort of links to this one, got me wondering.   

Is there a difference between one plant in a small amount of soil, and two or more plant root systems in the same pot fighting it out?

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 20:01 »
go careful with fresh chicken manure..can be too strong

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 20:01 »
Seems to me that growbags provide the best price per pound for 'compost' - so i use it as the base for most of the stuff I grow - maybe add some sand or soil or stuff from my darliks depending on what its being used for.
I've not noticed any appreciable differerence in productivity when I've grown 3 toms in a growbag vs emptying the same growbag out into 4/5 pots with some additional soil etc. There are so many variables (sunshine mostly) that I'm not sure there's too much to worry about with regards to contesting roots etc. as long as you don't overdo it and that you provide some feed.
 (I should point out that I've been out in the sun all day so take whatever I've just typed with a pinch of salt).  :blink:

Cheers,
Balders

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 20:10 »
I've been out in the sun all day too. Wonderful !

I feel an experiment is needed.   Three plants in one pot, compared to one plant in a single pot with one third the amount of soil in each.

I bet some plant boffins at the RHS, or somewhere, have already done it.  Google, here we come. ;)

xx
Container Gardening Car

Started by Simon Newman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 22:56
by starmoonlilly
xx
Re-using container compost

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 17:35
by RookieJim
xx
Container compost

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 19:11
by celjaci
xx
Container growing

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2017, 17:44
by Robster

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.