yum

• 7 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
yum
« on: December 06, 2012, 22:19 »
Just tasted my first jar of rhubarb chutney now I've found 3 sorts that I like all using wine vinager.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

compostqueen

Re: yum
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 23:57 »
Ta for reminding me to put wine vinegar on my list!  ;)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:45 »
If only I could grow some rhubarb! It sounds good. Do you think you can tell which vinegar has been used when the chutney has matured? I have been wondering about this, as a lot of recipes seem to use cider vinegar, which works out expensive when making large batches, where as malt vinegar is readily available in gallon containers and would be far more economical. If I manage to grow some rhubarb next year I shall be asking for the recipe ;)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 20:38 »
If only I could grow some rhubarb! It sounds good. Do you think you can tell which vinegar has been used when the chutney has matured? I have been wondering about this, as a lot of recipes seem to use cider vinegar, which works out expensive when making large batches, where as malt vinegar is readily available in gallon containers and would be far more economical. If I manage to grow some rhubarb next year I shall be asking for the recipe ;)

I've sustituted white wine vinager in place of cider vinager due to the price and it works ok.

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:29 »
Yes I think it is probably hard to tell, so that is good to know. Having a glut of crops to peserve feels a very long way off at the minute! :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 20:06 »
Not been a year for gluts really I was lucky to have been given the rhubarb, although I've just grated some carrots for the dehydrator have lots at the moment, leeks and parsnips not much else though.

Eagerly awaiting the articokes and psb going to grow loads more kale next year and sprouts for the winter.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 22:31 »
I've never eaten rhubarb chutney. What sort of taste is it? Is it sweet, vinegary or what? Normally the only sort of pickle I really like is piccalilli, because I don't much like a strong taste of vinegar but I do like mustard, but I do have quite a bit of rhubarb and that sounds interesting.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:18 »
its tastes of mainly rhubarb :lol: the wine vinager isn't strong, quite sweet a hint of spice.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 29 queries.